Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to be starting something(What happen to Bass)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by woody357, Mar 17, 2006.

1. woody357

woody357 Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2005
    I do not get it I hear bassist talking about wanting their sound to cut through the music, guitar player, and horn players sound cut through the music., we are bottom dwellers, our sound isn’t suppose to cut through, it is suppose to sit there and hold everything up. We are the man holding the world on his back. All I see now are bassist with 4/10s, or 2/10s what ever happen to the 2/15s, or the 1/18, or heck for a small gig 1/15. I know you say tens move faster and have a clearer sound, but today’s tech have made the 15s, and 18 better than before. Go and add a set of 10s to those 15s, or that 18, for some added punch, and clarity, but get off those tens sounding like a guitar on steroids. Play with some real bass make the women in the audience want to take something off when they feel us play. Play with some Bass in your face. Don’t be scared, but if you are play guitar. :D

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    You already trolled another forum months back with the same tirade (or you are a plagarist). You came off ignorant there and will likely do the same here.

3. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Play nice Greenboy no mud slinging. hahahaaaaha 18s are back, and so am I, so can't we all just get along? :D

4. you wanna be starting something?
    It's too low to get under (yeah, yeah)
    And the pain is thunder (yeah, yeah)
    (I'd like to pretend he's talking about this thread when he sings this)

Depends on your musical style and what you want to accomplish. There's never a right answer. Cheers!

5. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az

So, according to this logic, I should get rid of all eight of the tens in my guitar-sounding Ampeg 8x10, and just play with 15's or 18's so's I can be a real bass player...right...

6. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Looks like I started something. No Mr. Bush don't get rid of your Ampeg SVT cab IMHO there is not much out there that sound as good as that cab, or better. I am not knocking 10s, in fact I use a 2-10 cab as a stand alone and stacked with my 18 :ninja:

7. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Glad to hear it. My other cabs are 215's and 412's (guitar stack that sees use as bass rig occasionally.)

Still, I've heard an amazing number of smaller cabs that put out amazing sound these days--my next purchase will be something easier to transport, and probably just as loud as a 215. Bass cab technology is in a golden age right now, and our backs and ears are winning.
    I'm glad we agree, but this thread looks suspiciously calculated to start an argument to me. Hopefully I'm wrong.

EDIT: Mr. Bush is my dad's name :) I'm Walter, or jabberwock.

8. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Well Mr. Bush you are somewhat correct, it was designed to insight debate. It really made some ppl angry on another site, but if they read what I’ve said I never put 10s down, I agree that some 410 cabinets have great low end, but a lot of players I hear live are so worried about cutting through that they do sound like guitars on steroids. :ninja:

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
  10. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
  11. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Woody,
    For what it's worth, IMO bass is a rhythm section instrument, and should be played accordingly. If these guys have the whole world on their shoulders, where is their drummer? Yes, there are times when "lead bass" is appropriate, but in most band settings, this is going to sound obnoxious. Let's see... Lead Vocals.. Lead Bass.. Lead guitar... all competing for the front of the mix. Not very musical if you ask me. I'm more interestred in how good my band sounds as a unit than how much bass can I put in your face. And yeah, I play 15's most of the time, hahah I'm with you.

Putting on my Nomex underpants.... Flame away!!!

12. woody357

Jun 17, 2005
    Your late I already have my bunker gear on with scba, and I'm on air. ahahhahhahhahaha

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Bass is only a rhythm section instrument if you choose it to be. I play in a three piece instrumental (guitar, bass, drums) and belive me, we both get plenty of lead work, heck even the drummer get some solos. For our style of music you need to really let rip as a bassist to create a full musical pallet. I play with a 4x10, not out of choice but because I'm too poor to add a second cab and 4x10s make better stand alones than 1x15s. I eventually hope to build a 1x21" cab using a Beyma driver then a 2x8+1x5 cab and stick a quality 4x10 or 4x12 in between. When it comes to bass, I like plenty of everything. Oh and Joshua, you may have a point however a Beyma 21" in the correct box has a response down to below 20Hz without a big trail off in sensitivity, that's something no 10s or 12s can do. Heck, tech soundsystems make a 1x18 + 1x10 that can go to 20Hz or there about. There will always be a place for large speakers.

For those of you that wonder why I would want the Beyma, if you could see the various bastardisations of the subcontrabass I have in my head you'd soon understand, I was thinking a Brice 6 string, tuned C#,F#,B,E,A,D :O. I love the really low stuff. Anyway, that's all a long way in the future when I have the wallet size to support my overactive imagination.

14. I'm also in a 3-piece w/guitar & drums.
    My Ampeg 410HLF can do it all

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I believe I did say...Yes, there are times when "lead bass" is appropriate, but in most band settings, this is going to sound obnoxious.

I also used to play in a 3 piece instrumental band(guitar ,bass, drums) that had been described as "Hendirix meet Miles Davis" Lots of seat of the pants improv stuff. There is a time and a place for everything, but in MOST cases, lead bass is just obnoxious and detracts from the band. Remember ... I said MOST not ALL. I'd actually like to hear your instro band AJ. Sounds pretty cool. The key is to find the right place in the mix that is appropriate for the song
    . I rember years ago going to see the Chris Duarte band, and the bass player (John Jordan) had one of those 6/7 string basses. I thought "Oh no... Lead bass player... Not good" Then they started to play, and I was WAY MORE than impressed with his playing. PERFECT for the material. As good as a guitar player Chris is, Mr. Jordans playing just made him sound even better. I also have a solo record he did , and it's fantastic. The guy is amazing. I think the best players play what's right for the song, not what's going to get them the spotlight. :bag:

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    You guys are being awfully tolerant. I'd correct his spelling and grammar for you, but it's too daunting a task even for me. I know I incite (note correct spelling) a few debates in here, but my grammar, spelling, and punctuation are impeccable. That should be a requirement for such things.

So, go back to 3rd grade, learn to read and write, then come back and play the raconteur, OK?

17. I give this one about another 2 hours......LOL! For what its worth, I LOVE my Bergantino NV610 and it eats Ampegs for breakfast :D LOL! Hope that doesn't start anything.....I actually prefer 12's over MOST 15's BUT the Bergie NV215 made me a believer that 15's can sound fabulous! :cool:

Peace,

T

18. I use a 410 stacked with a 118.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're playing a decent club with a PA, aren't you really playing through the 15-18" speakers they have there?

19. More or less...My Main PA is 4 JBL SRX725's and 4 JBL SRX728's = 8 15's and 8 18's and 4 4 " Horns!.....

Peace,

T

20. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Technology has moved on. The same technology changes that make the newer 15s and 18s faster and cleaner also make 12s and 10s lower. You used to need a 15 or 18 to handle bass. Now a good 12 will provide the same or more bass and weigh much less.

I keep my bass cabs in the bassment. Carrying a 2x15 up and down the stairs by myself after every gig would get real old real fast.