1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to build a 4x15 but...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by distrot, Sep 29, 2008.

1. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    I want to build a 4x15 but...I have little to no experience building cabs I know I want a sealed cab for a nice tight sound. I will have to calculate the proper size of cab to allow the speaker to work properly and not blow so I figured I would follow the specs of a cab that already exists. I have a friend who is a kitchen cabinet maker so I have access to all his tools and help, and I will get my local repair man to wire it up.

I need some tips as well as advise to avoid the commen pit falls, basically what am I missing and forgetting to consider.

i want the final product to be similar to this OM_2.

2. Honestly I would google "bass cabinet building" or "speaker cabinet building" or something like that. I think you will find a lot of info. I have never attempted building my own cabinet but there are numerous things to consider from the volume of the box to the thickness of the walls, what kind of wood to use etc etc. Engineering plays a big part in a good sounding cabinet.

3. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i figured that I would need to make some serious calculations to make sure it all worked out.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Damn, a 4 x 15? Youre looking at a huge cab there! That thing will be at least as big as an 8x10, but hell yeah! Blow the doors off those venues!

5. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Your first pitfall has been to decide on a speaker configuration rather than a tonal and SPL requirement. Your second pitfall has been for that configuration being guaranteed to result in a cab that is far bigger and heavier than you need.

With a quality 15" speaker I can't imagine a 2x15" being loud enough for any sane requirement. Also sealed cab doesn't equal tight sound, it just results in a different roll-off on the bottom. Your cab and speaker should be designed for each other, which requires going round in numerous circles until you can't optimise the design any more.

Look at the Eminence Kappalite 3015 and download Eminence's own cab designs for it. One of them should suit your need, you may need to double up the volume/porting for a 2x15" design. DO NOT BUILD A 4x15"!!!

Alex

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just out of curiosity....what exactly are you looking for performance-wise that isn't already available on the market?

Riis

7. mrjim123

mrjim123 Supporting Member

May 17, 2008
    Indy
    How are you going to haul that monster? And if you were to ask me for help loading and unloading it I'd have to say,"Sorry, Pal".

8. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois

+1

I love the sound from 15's and I have both a 1x15 and a 2x15 cab. The 2x15 is only marginally louder yet it weighs twice as much and takes up twice as much room. It certainly doesn't sound any better, tone-wise. Now it sits in my closet collecting dust becasue I don't feel like dragging it to shows.

Go ahead and do this if you want to pose in front of it, but from a practical standpoint, the idea is ludicrous.

9. djwackfriz

djwackfriz

Jul 31, 2007
    Astoria, NY
    The ones in the picture... are they Matamp/Orange?

I'm just curious as to why such a cabinet would be produced commercially, if indeed they ended up just being horribly inefficient.

I know, I know, people bought the Pet Rock when it came out, but this is a serious question! :bag:

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    "But this one goes to 11..."

11. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Why not just make 10 louder?

12. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR

Looks like an SPL sweat lodge!:D

13. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    i need a winter hobbie (frigid canadian north) and the goal is to shake the earth, my original plan was a 6x15 but it didn't seem movable

14. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Well I guess the drummer will be able to hear the downbeat NOW, huh? :D

15. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Make that hobby learning how speakers work and come spring you can build a 1x15+8 that goes as loud as anyone needs.

16. Why don't you just get 2 2 15 speaker cabinets. Same air moving power but easier to move.

17. +∞

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Uh...that would be a 23, right? I guess I'm not off to a good start.

Riis

19. lhoward

lhoward

Apr 27, 2003
    Western NY State
    Why not use it for the bottom of a home theater system. Just make sure you have good plate-glass windows, especially where you live.

Hbarcat's post makes sense to me. Two drivers in one box are only 3dB louder than one driver; just noticeable by the human ear provided the two boxes have the same frequency response. So his 2x15 box just sits home. I'd rather make a couple trips carrying light-weight, single 15" cabs than one cab with 2 15" and forget a cab with 4 15" drivers. A 4 15" cab would be a huge box no matter what the driver pattern is. Besides, what would you use to haul it? I'd call it a hernia cab. Rather than a 4 15" or a 2 15" system, I'd go for a bass horn system instead.

I also agree with Bill Fitzmaurice's post. Use it as a learning experience about driver-cab interaction and what makes a reasonable design considering your goals.

Have fun!

Lloyd Howard

20. Visirale

Visirale

Mar 23, 2003
    Orlando
    The light-weight cab police are out in force today!

To the OP, I'd say go for it! A 4x15 is badass, no matter how inefficient or impractical some might consider it to be.