1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to build a big set of chimes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Trevorus, May 11, 2006.

1. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You know, those long tubes that are used in some orchestra settings... Anyone have any links or info on how to do this? I need to know of good materials to build the chimes with, and proper tube tuning.

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Functional, or just for decoration? Maybe reference some doorbell chimes or something.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Functional. I mean the big ones that are sometimes used in orchestra settings.

4. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Well, I don't have any advice, but I am interested to see where this thread goes...

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Me too.

6. Go ask a band teacher if you can check out their chimes, and write down the tunings. Experiment with different pipes at home depot to see what gives the best sound, or ask the teacher what theirs are made of. And, I'm not too sure about this, can't you just strike it, tune it, and cut it shorter to reach the desired note for that chime?

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yes, but like the didgeridoo that I built, I would like to be at least partially educated before going into it.

8. Aye, it would do no good to get started and waste everything when you mess up. How'd that didgeridoo turn out? I'm sure there is more to it then hollowing out a log...

9. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    No, less actually. It's a PVC tube cut to length, with melted beeswax as a mouthpiece like the authentic ones. Really quite easy. I didn't ever have the dedication to really practice the "circular" breathing stuff.

10. Ooo well then...what's the length/diameter of the PVC? Sounds interesting...Is circular breathing where you exhale using your cheek muscles and breathe in through your nose at the same time, allowing for an indefinitely sustained note? If so, I may have a head start in playing the thing, I got bored on a backpacking trip and taught myself.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bell brass I'm sure.

12. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Brass or silver, depending on the model. It looks like it would be pretty easy, but those things are really expensive for a reason.