Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by count zero, Sep 11, 2001.

1. count zero

count zero

Sep 11, 2001
    Germany
    This is my first thread, so first I want to say hello to everyone.

Hello!

I play guitar for almost one year, but now I want to change and play bass. So I wanted to ask you if the Fender Squire is a good bass to begin with. It costs only 400DM (about 200US$). It's very cheap but I think it's ok for a beginner.

Maybe you can tell me what you think about the Fender Squire or suggest me another one.

Thanks a lot, count zero

p.s.: Excuse my English, I'm from Germany ;)

2. Duff_Man182

Duff_Man182

Jul 28, 2001
    Miami,Fl USA
    i have a squier.....if your getting it for 200 dollars that's a total and complete ripoff...they're ok instruments....every1 i know who has/had a squier usually starts having electronic problems after like 2 months so i'd say spend some and get a MIM Fender

3. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    yeah, I second that. Get a MIM Fender (standard series) or an Ibanez Soundgear. Both great basses, in my opinion.

Welcome to talkbass!

4. The Dean Playboy is really cheap and it looks really koo and it would be easy to upgrade and dean's IMO are really versitle.

5. ...by the way it come's w/ dean's "Bass n a Box" (head phone amp)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Guys, in Germany, $200 US is probably about the cheapest bass that you can get.

You must remember that US brands are much more expensive in Europe than they are over here, due to distance for shipping, import duties, etc.

count zero, welcome to Talkbass.

The Squier is a good beginner bass.

What other basses can you get for 400DM?

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
  8. count zero

count zero

Sep 11, 2001
    Germany
    @ all
    Thanks to everyone who wrote something and helped me.
    I will have a look at the basses you suggested and look how much they are here in germany.

@ embellisher
    I don't know what other basses are available for 400DM. I will have a look at my music dealer. It's a very small shop (in a small town).

@ JMX
    Thanks for the links. I will have a look at it.
    Maybe I'll look at a higher prize region, but what you don't have you can't spend :( . Maybe after some time of saving money...

I will report you which bass I finally bought.

Thanks again, count zero

9. Try the lower range Yamaha's to, i swear by them!
    and surely, if your in germany, Warwicks should be dirt cheap :D ;)

well, thats my 2 cence, hope everyones cool!!!!

Si-bob