Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by knockyoudown, Jun 8, 2001.

1. Hello there, friends! I´m very glad that there is this forum to discuss about one of the things in life that give me a great pleasure: playing the bass! And to keep in touch with other players is such a divine oportunity!
    Now, can you please help me? I´m thinking of buying a new bass, and can´t choose between three models: a Ibanez SR400, a Tobias Deluxe-4 and a Kramer Baretta 422/P Bass. I´ve heard that Tobias basses have a good sound definition, and I´m searching for that. But I´m also searching for versatility, and I think the other two have more of it to offer. Would you like to help me telling the characteristics of these basses, if you´ve already played on or have one of them?

Thanx!!!!

2. Faydoe

Faydoe

Jun 8, 2001
    Hy knockyoudown!

I just said that you should buy the Ibanez because he have a good sound. So i think most Ibanez Basses are good. They are like allround basses. I would say that you don`t buy the Kramer Barreta because i have had an Kramer Bass and he was terrible with the electronic. I was very depressed of this bass because he doesn`t work at a gig. That was terrible. So i hope i could help you.

Faydoe

3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I would consider a Czech made Spector. You can find them used for not much $$

4. Thank you both for your help, but I am afraid that I am not gonna find any Spector around here... at least, i have never seen them... I think that the SR400 is gonna be my natural option, since Tobias price in Brazil are a little too high... but I would love to have a Tobias! Has anyone played in one of these models available now? How do they sound?
    And this Ibanez model I am interested? Do you have anything to say about it?

!!!!!

5. I just bought a Ibanez BTB1005 and I absolutely love it. The 1005 is the flagship of the BTB series but they have a BTB400 and 405 that have been spoken very highly of. They are also available for around $500. I would give the BTB series a try before buying the SR400. You might like it better or you might not.

Good luck.

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey ive played the tobius and it was a 5 stringf! The one thing it had going for it for real was the d string was very nice!

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

knockyoudown, Welcome to Talkbass!

Of the 3 basses that you named, I would pick the Tobias Deluxe, due to the fact that it costs less than the Ibanez SR400 and is every bit as good, the electronics in them are very comparable, and are probably both made by Mighty Mite.

The Kramer has a great price too, but wouldn't have near the resale of the Tobias or Ibanez, due to the fact that Kramer isn't exactly a household name in basses.

If you are seriously considering spending $450 for the Ibanez, I would recommend saving up a little while longer and getting the Ibanez BTB400.

It is around $500, but it is IMHO a much better bass than the 3 you named.

But for the price, the Tobias and the Kramer are good deals. I think that the Ibanez SR400 is overpriced.