Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy a new rig, but i just got this one

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Jul 11, 2005.

1. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Alright here is what i have.

Fender P Bass Special

SKB 4 Space
    Furman Rack Rider
    Sansamp RBI
    QSC PLX 1202

I play in a rock n roll band and the 2x10 gets the job done, but it could be better. More speakers and it lacks low end. But its easy to move. I like the QSC and RBI but its really heavey in the rack case i have.... I played a V type Trace Elliot at Guitar Center into a 4x10 SWR and i loveeeed the sound it got. I just had a birthday and i have money to get a new cab. i was going to get the avatar neo 2x12 but i dont know if i want that. I would rather have one really nice stand alone cab rather than two cabs used together. Will the Neo be fine as my main cab, then add the 2x10 to it for larger gigs?

The rack set up i have i do like but its kinda a pain to move. A loud head would be better. Those new ashdowns are pretty neat, havent played one but they sound good. Any news on those?

My past rigs have been:

My first amp was a 60 watt hartke that i use when my big rig is not around.
    I bought a peavey mark IV 300 watt head and ran it into the avatar. Then the peavey got fried because of snow, so i bought this stuff.

What should i do???

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's a nice rack rig. Sure, it's a little bulky compared to many heads these days, but shouldn't be all that heavy.

Some prefer one cab, say a 4x10, that can move around on wheels. I personally like modularity: f'r instance a pair of 2x10 cabs, 2x10/2x12, or 2x10 over 1x15. That way one cab can be brought to smaller jams/rehearsals/gigs, and both cabs to big gigs. Also, smaller cabs are easier to load... that made a huge difference back when I was driving a Saturn sedan.

I can't comment specifically on Avatar cabs. Good luck!

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    If you're already having luck with your 2x10, why not add a 1x12 for the bottom. You'll keep the portability and you'll get more lows and volume.

4. ... or even a 1x15 for the bottom. My 115 really fills out the bottom with my 4x10 even at lower volumes. Sounds not too bad on it's own too.

5. TheChariot

TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA

+1

The 112 would add a lot to the 210. But if you really just want one cab, then the 212 or 212Neo (havent heard it) would probably be the way to go.

If you want a single powerful head.... well.... I hate to constantly throw out the same suggestion... but it sounds like your looking for the Kustom Groovebass. There's definately other options out there, but you'd have to definately shell out more cash to get them. If you still like your RBI's tone, you can get the Sansamp BDDI and run it into your new head.