Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy a Squier P- bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nilmar, May 14, 2004.

1. Nilmar

Nilmar

Mar 16, 2004
    Hi guys, i would like to buy a Squier Affinity P-bass instead of a Fender one because i am really low on budget. But i read reviews on the internet that Squier bass really sucks, there will be problem with the neck, tone knobs etec etc... So i am really hesitating about whether i should buy it now. However i am thinking of upgrading it. I like the mark hoppus soung, what can i do to the new squier p-bass to get the mark hoppus sound? Does Jazz body make a difference in the tone of the sound? I would also like to change the pickup to seymour duncan quarter pounder. :bassist:

2. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I bought a Squire P-Bass as my first bass a few months ago. I have been happy with it. As others say, some are good, some are bad, like many others things out there. The only gripe I really have with it is the Tone control, as it can make the sound quite staticky if raised beyond 3/8 of the way, I just leave the tone down and adjust on the amp. Other than that, no problems. It keeps it's tune very well for over a week at times and I have found it enjoyable to learn on.

As for your other questions, I'm sure others who are more exp. will be able to help you :)

3. This is the main thing about them, just like other cheap basses such as SX

This is most likely due to horrible wiring or a bad pot or even both. My guess is a bad pot.

4. I play a Squier P-bass, but I'm a beginner too. IMHO, if you go for a budget one, why not? All the other budget bass guitars are still cheap copies of the Fender P (well, most of them anyway...I think), so why not go for the real copy (sounds like crap I know, but I'm tired).

I can't complain about the bass. Everything is still working after a couple of months.

What you didn't mention: have you been playing for long? Seems like you just need another bass, or am I wrong? And what's wrong with saving anyway?

5. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Three year player.

I say good for the money but you will want to upgrade.
    I would upgrade but I don't have alot of money so MEh!!

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Personally I would recommend an SX over a Squier based on my experience with each. The SX is a bit cheaper but by many accounts better. I've got an SX Jazz, which is an amazing bass for the money. After $50 worth of upgrades, it's better than most MIM Fenders.

That being said, if you still want to go with the Squier, if you're good with wiring you could replace the pickup with a Quaterpounder and put in new pots and it should sound pretty darn good. Keep in mind that the new pickup will run you $70 or so, so by the time you've got that and the Squier, you're only about $100 away from the Fender.

7. Corwin81

Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    I've got a Squier with a Fender '62RI P pickup. I love the sound. Probably gonna set it up with flats as soon as I get this Jazz/MM Geddy built.

8. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    i had one years ago! for a starter they are not bad, but if your on a budget if you have the extra cash for upgrading the pickup,why not just buy a mexy fender you cant go wrong!

9. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    if you ask the gc employee for a good squier; he'll take out "one that blows away every bass in the store, except for 2."

I got this words from a GC employee. :p

And yes, he was talking about a squier. ;)

10. vacman

vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I still have my squire. It was and is a good bass for the money. Set it up correctly and it should do just fine. Spend your hard earned money on lessons and finding a good teacher. Chops baby Chops....... :D :bassist:
    I guess if they are dancing we are doing are job eh?

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

Yeah the guy who sold me mine took it out of the back. Ask for a better one, you might get it.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I agree with Vacman. A good eacher and diligent practice will do more for you than a rack full of Sadowskys. No bass can play itself. :bassist:

13. Nilmar, it's possible to find a descent Squier P bass, play before you pay.

I have a couple of comments though. The money it would take to do the upgrades you have mentioned, you could add to your original investment and get a good used MIJ P bass, or even an MIM P bass. I'm not big on MIM's but I do believe they are of better quality than Squier. MIJ, I know for sure are better.

Just giving you something to think about.

Jazz bass bodies and P bass bodies are both great designs and tone shouldn't be an issue. Pickups and how they are placed on the bass body contribute more to tone then the body design, in general!

Good luck!

[​IMG]
    Treena

14. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I have a Squier P-Bass, I got in that starter pack thing. I only have a few problems...

The tone and volume knobs come loose, but hot glue will fix that (worked for me). My tuning keys are quite loose, and I'm not sure how to fix that, but it's not too much of a problem. Of course, this is after months of abuse and gigs, so if you take good care of it, these things might not happen.

Besides that, it's actually not a bad bass, so I say go for it! :)

~Graeme

P.S. Are you getting the whole value pack thing with the amp and all?