Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy a violin

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ryan Berry, Jan 18, 2003.

1. I like playing different kinds of instruments and i love the sound of the violin so i figured id get a cheap one one. Then I find out good ones are over 1,000 dollars. I wanted to get one in my MF catalouge for $100. Would this thing really be that bad? Im not expecting an excellent instrument, but would this thing compared to a real violin be like a Squier compared to a MIA Fender, Squier compared to a Sadowsky, or bits and peices of a Squier compared to 10 Sadowskys? Is it a waste of money to buy a 100 dollar violin? Im 15 and I dont have a job so I cant go blow a bunch of money on something that i dont know i'll stick with. Also, if i dont plan on playing it anywhere but by myself and maybe with my band, do I need a teacher? I know a teacher would help, but I dont even get bass lessons, Im not gonna pay for violin lessons. Any help would be very apreciated.

2. I was also wondering if I should go with an electric violin, as I'd need to mic an acoustic one and i could play around with effects. Would it be easier to get a good soud out of an electric (EQing)? Would it sound fine plugged into my bass amp?

3. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    My dad played violin for years, and was amazing at it, so i tryed it. I'm still learning, and don't know anything much, but the elec violin sounds VERY different, to me anyway, than a real one. i know fender makes a decent elec violin.

As far as running it thru your bass amp, i doubt that would be a good idea. bass speakers where not made to take the high trebel that the violin produces, it's like, almost as far away form "bass" as you can get. i would imainge, just as with elec guitars run thru bass amps, the high end would just be hell on the speakers.

4. Do you think it would sound fine through the PA?

5. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Well i don't know, but i havent really heard of any "Violin combo's" or amps, or anything. I'm guessing useing a pa would be fine, but i don't know about what kind of Pre amp, or if it's in the violin, but i don't know. maybe there would be some answers on "talkviolin"...just kidding. i'm usre it would work. I mean, why on earth wouldnt it?

6. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    In another lifetime, I was a long time violin player. I played in the youth symphony and also did some freelance stuff at weddings etc... A 100 dollar violin will sound like cats squalling in the alley. The sound will have no warmth, no depth, and will be loaded with squeaky overtones that will remind you of fingernails on a chalkboard. While you could potentially go into the thousands and thousands of dollars for a handcrafted instrument made of aged wood etc..., you can find a resonably "decent" violin in the couple of hundred buck range. Companies like Euro and Palatino make student violins that while they would still make Stradivarius laugh hysterically, can be passable for someone learning to play. As I recall, there is some kind of certification that can be obtained that demonstrates that a violin is at least acceptable as a student violin. It's some fancy thing like "The American Assiciation of whatever...." Look for student violins that at least have this minimum level of certification. IMO those Cremona's and other 100 buck jobs you find on Ebay are crap and you would lose interest very quickly. As far as being self taught, I've never considered the violin an instrument to self teach very well. There are so many nuances, bow pressure, finger placement, holding the bow correctly, bow technique, vibrato techniques, proper positioning etc... Some of these are similar to bass requirements, but unlike the bass, if you get them wrong on a violin, it sounds like someone is gutting a cat with a box cutter. But hey, if you're feeling adventurous, go for it.:D

7. leanne

leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    I played violin too. :) Like LoJoe said, I'd stay away from the really cheap ones too, it just wouldn't be worth it. Maybe you could work something out with a local music store so you could rent (or rent to own) one? My parents did that when I first started because I had to begin on a half size.

I also think it would be a huge mistake not to get lessons. If you tried to do it yourself, it would probably take so long for you to produce a reasonable sound that you'd lose interest. It's not that it's hard, but you have to be so precise in so many ways, it would be hard to notice them all on your own. Maybe there are instructional videos out there? That would be better than nothing.

Enjoy...

8. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I don't think itd be hell on the speakers, they just wouldn't produce the high end all that well. IIRC, speakers are damaged from trying to have frequencies below their operating range played through them, not from having higher freqs tried to be played through them.

9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification

A decent bass amp reproduces frequencies up to about 20KHZ. Should be able to handle an electric violin just fine, though you may have to EQ it to get rid of the boomy, subtones that my come along with this.

But it won't be bad for the speakers. Remember, bass is a full range instrument.

10. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah, open further thinking, it makes sense, thanks for that.