Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to buy Bartolini Pickups!!! BUT....

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Kwan, Sep 24, 2004.

1. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    Their site is really hard to browse!!
    and the dealer doesnt provides information at all!!

Here is the description of my dream pickup:
    Just like the sound of those barts on Lakland. I have seen Dave Pomeroy playing Lakland in Bass Day 97 and I loved the tone so much!! I choose Bartolini also because of the "string sound" produced by them (the CHUKA, JUNGA, LUKK sound...), and the deep low and warm mid that lies below the string sound.

But my question is:
    - how do i know which model is right for me??
    - so except the pickup, i have to also buy the electronic and harness, right?

I am waiting for the professional answer from you guys and hope I could make the deal soon!! Excited!! :cool:

PS: I use a Fender American Deluxe 5-string Precision Bass

2. You can hook Bartolinis up to any wiring arrangement, they are a little weird but you don't need all the special Barto harnesses etc.

Go to www.bestbassgear.com for good prices and friendly service.

I like your desciption of their sound, that's what I like about them too!

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I suggest contacting Grasshopper at www.basscentral.com . He is an expert on Bart pickups and preamps. Plus, he can get them for you faster rhan other dealers.

Tell him what you are after, tonewise, which kind of woods your bass is, and he will guide you to what seems closest to the sound you hear in your head.

I found him much more helpful than the Bartolini Vice-President for the eastern US I spoke to.

4. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    When I bought Barts a few years back, I ordered them through Jack Read of Read Custom Instruments.

5. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004
    I am contacting Bass Central, hope for some help from them!! :)

Thanks for the recommandation!!

6. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

You're in luck! Bart just happens to make 5-string P-Bass pickups. AAMOF, I'm playing my 5-string Frankenbass right now, which is loaded with some. These are the XX58SU models which are supposed to be the brighter version. Personally, I wouldn't want anything much "browner". It's got that thumpy P-Bass bottom with a brighter top. I'll highly recommend these pickups for the neck position of that bass. I'm running mine passive in a V/V/T set-up. Other pickup is a Basslines MM. Now that's an odd combination, I know. But it sounds killer, especially with the bridge P/U off.

Doesn't the Deluxe P have a bridge P/U -- maybe similar to the Roscoe Beck? Can't offer a recommendation or suggestion about that one.

Hope this helps.

dcr

7. Kwan

Kwan

May 14, 2004

Thanks for your information!
    Yes the Deluxe P has a "soapbar" shape pickup.

Now talking with Grasshopper at Basscentral.... :hyper: :hyper:

8. I'd never heard of Bartolinis before I came to this forum...are they totally awesome or something? I've seen many threads about them here.

9. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    To each is his own, but many seem to like them, including me.

I´ve got a pair of Bartolini J's in my MIA Fender Jazz V.

10. Groovy. Glad I know more now.

11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

There are a number of excellent, off-the-shelf, pups besides Barts you can buy, (e.g. - Basslines by Seymour Duncan/EMG/DiMarzio/Rio Grandes, and more...and that doesn't include some fine pups from Europe).

After that, you get into the custom pickup realm where we're typically talking significantly over $200 per pickup and well more. Plus, with a custom pup maker such as Aero, you're better off being able able to discuss the technical aspects of the pickups you want with the designer, IME.

12. tim99

tim99 Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2003
    I got my barts from grasshopper. He was very helpful.

tim99.

13. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

your chances of nailing a sound from another bass are extremely slim - especially down to the finger transfer aspect. Even the exact same pups will sound different in different basses simply due to variations in the acoustic properties of the bass alone. Active EMG's are probably the most consistent tone pups and the easiest to duplicate tone cause they seem to overpower other variables more than any other pups.

I've had lot's of the same model EMG's, I've had lots of Barts but different models and I'd guess other variables would affect a bart pup more than EMGs.

Regardless, Barts are quality pups. They're quiet, balanced, adapt well to various music styles, and they tend to have that Bart tone to them. It's hard to go wrong with Barts unless you're looking for a vintage vibe.

14. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I live near Bass Central. What a place! I put barts in this bass and they sound sweet. Hopefully whoever buys it will love it too....t