I want to change out the mxr m82 envelope filter. recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tortve87, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Tortve87

Tortve87

Dec 28, 2009
    Oslo, Norway
    Hi! I bought the MXR m82 last month. I must say I'm disappointed of the sounds I get from it.
    I thought I would be able to get some more variations out of it because of the amount control knobs.

the Sens knob only makes any noticeable effect at 3 o'clock and above...
    the peaks are too loud for me and I found it unusable.

I've been able to get two different sounds and to me it sound and to me it sound thin and not fat and funky. and don't think there is anything wrong with my pedal. The things I like with the M82: It's small, have a separate dry and fx knob, looks cool...

The basses I use: De gier Bebop 4 string (jazz bass) with john east preamp, Kristall solid-II 5 and 6 string, Fender Jazz bass '92, Fender PJ bass (japan)

so.. I'm looking for an new envelope pedal with:
    - fatter sound
    - small pedal size (mxr, proton size)
    - maximum 200$ price tag

anyone with the same experience? and If i don't like the MXR would I like: broughton josh wah, 3leaf proton, ebs bassiq? ehx, others?

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I love my Source Audio Manta filter. It's not gigantic but it doesn't meet your size criteria.

hintz likes this.
  3. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    It's funny you mention the Manta because I've thought about revisiting this but I've also been digging on the MXR demos lately.

It's been a few years but I remember having a hell of a time just getting a "classic" envelope filter sound outta it before getting a setting that was decent. I found it hard to dial out alot of the drive and get a super wet sounding filter.

Really I'm trying to get a similar sound to the DOD FX25 and I think the MXR would do this with some better features. I *want* to like the manta, but it never quite got me there sonically.... I'm hoping SA comes out with a one series version of the Manta that's even more adjustable, and *really* wish they'd come up with a sorta OC2 clone so I could have a board of all presets.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  4. Edmang

Edmang Supporting Member

Jun 29, 2013
    MA
    What sounds good to you and what someone else thinks sounds good can often be two different things. It also is influenced by your other gear.

I would add the Aguilar Filter Twin to your list of possible filters.

Also if you find the peaks too loud, might want to try a compressor after the filter to even things out.

Tortve87 likes this.
  5. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Iron Ether Xerograph Deluxe is probably what you are after. I'm in the same situation, I have a MXR BEF, it's great at doing that one sound. It's a pity there aren't more sonic options on it. So I'm between a Xerograph deluxe or a SA Manta as well. The SA's Midi capability is really appealing too (I have a Boss ES-5 and a Neuro hub too). But the Iron Ether has that lovely organic analogue sound that the SA manta can't do very well.

Tortve87 likes this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021