Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to change the color of my bass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by vincentpghpa, May 7, 2004.

1. vincentpghpa

vincentpghpa

Apr 24, 2004
    It's a crappy color but it was cheap. What do I gotta do to paint it a different color. Has anyone ever done this before. And while it's taken down how hard is it to put a different neck on it? What kinds of things do I look for to do this?

Thanks

2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Its done all the time, but getting a good result takes lots of practice and skill. Typically need to sand a prep the surface, spray new paint on with a compressor, dry, spray on several coats after each drying and wet sanding in between coats, spraying on a clear coat, then finally buffing with several different grades of compound.

Sure, you could just spray it with a can of spraypaint, but it will look like hell, IMO.

3. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

I have done it to my guitar. Originally it was black, now its checked matt black and white.
    I sanded all the shine off the gloss, to give the matt paint something to stick to, then masked off the areas i wanted to keep black, and sprayed the white gloss on. I didnt need to rub the matt black as its surface is not glossy so the paint has stuck relatively well.

I wouldnt pay someone to do it the way i did, id want a better job, but if your only doing one colour id say go for it. Just check and re-check that you have put masking tape everywhere you dont want to paint, it gets everywhere.

Dont hold the can too close to the job, as teh paint will starts to run. you want as thin a layer as possible while still covering up all the old colour/wood.

Good luck.

4. I'm in the process of changing the looks of my Peavey Accelorator. Purple with a pickguard now, and after I'm through, no pickguard and a natural wood finish with a bookmatch top. This will be an easier finish since it will be eventually sprayed with a matte polyurethane. To paint will be a LOT more work to make it look right. Long ago, I repainted a guitar of mine and it eventually looked like poop. Soon after, the paint stripper came out, and now it is back to the original wood finish. Take your time on this, as speed will be your enemy.

5. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

Believe it or not, i allways thought acheiving a good quality natural finish would be harder than painting a colour..... Also you run the risk of having a guitar with horrible grain.