1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to convent one of my 5 strings to a PICCOLO

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Oct 25, 2013.

1. What strings should I use to get this done. Should I go with Low B or High C Tuneing for this. Which am not sure the Gauges now. I could use some avise for this.

I blame one of the Theads for this also. lol

2. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Best place to start if you want to go up an octave from where you are right now is to use gauges that are exactly half of what you have.

3. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Octave up BEADG and EADGC are possible. You'll need single bass strings (www.bassstringsonline.com) plus bass-length plain steel strings meant for ERBs, or a set from here http://circlekstrings.com/store/standard-balanced-5-strings.html.
    Some guitar plain steel strings are just long enough to reach the tuner posts, just thread an old bass ball end onto one to make the ball fit a bass bridge. A cheap alternative.
    You can use the CKS tension chart http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart130105.pdf to design a set with less tension than a standard bass set to avoid breaking the thinner strings. That chart can be use to very roughly approximate tensions of other brands.

4. Would this work a 4 strings set ), string gauges: 0.52, 0.42, 0.32, 0.20, I just add to the fifth lowest string a 0.70.
    I May try this out.... B= .65, E=.55, A=.40, D=.25 G=.018

5. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    My suggestion is .067 .049 .033 .022p .016p - as you go high the strings can't handle the tension and you want a smooth transition from thin to thick for playability.

6. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Why? Piccolo Bass is an oxymoron.

7. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    ^ What k_h said, a steady fall in tension from low to high has many advantages especially for ERBs and piccolo bass.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Feb 5, 2008
    Zagreb, Croatia
    It isn't, really. "Piccolo" refers to the octave-up tuning, while "bass" refers to to the 34/35" scale of the instrument. Seems legit.

9. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Who you callin' moron?!?

;)

10. My qestion is were is octave at the 12th or 24th fret of a normal bass and gets higer or is it the even higer?

11. knuckle_head

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    By high I mean using the thinner gauges to get to octave up D and G specifically - normal bass tension is 40 pounds or so and the plain 16 I suggested can pull in the high 20's or so due to tensile strength and twist integrity. You can get a bit more tension out of it if you drop thin superglue on the twist.