1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to convert my LH500 outputs to Speakon

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dbase, Nov 9, 2010.

1. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    I want to change my speaker outputs from 1/4" to Speakon connectors on my LH500 and my two 2x10xl cabs. I dont like the way the speaker plugs wobble in the sockets.
    I opened the amp up and its not "wired" like the older amps.. The connectors are attached to circuit boards with solid state modules. I know when not to put my dirty fingers into something like this amp. I'm afraid to take it to the local music store. Know any good amp techs in the South Jersey area who could perform this?

2. Pure IMO here, but I would in NO way bother to do this. Much ado about nothing. If your cabs have speakon, just get a nice, high quality 1/4" to speakon cable(s) and use that. Works great.

Spending $100 at a shop to modify a $450 amp (a nice $450 amp, of course) makes little sense.

IMO there... just another way to look at it.

3. mobis.fr

mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
    germany
    +1

4. another +1 to Ken's post.
    If your phone plugs are wobbly, maybe you need to use a different plug on the cables. There is a variance in size sometimes, and one plug will fit more snugly than others.

5. mralex

mralex

Oct 29, 2010
    from what ive found the speakon doesnt add enough to make me want to spend that kind of cash for it, maybe i just dont care about it as much, but i dont see the huge deal with speakon

6. Hi.

Yet another vote for not worth it.

PCB-mounted jacks usually perform switching functions as well, something that Speakon's can't.

Regards
    Sam

7. There are some advantages, and quite frankly, with the nice dual mode Speakon/1/4" jacks now, I find it strange that any manufacturer would use 1/4" only any more.

However, sound and tone is not something Speakons will help with, and the 'higher power delivery' thing really only comes into play with mega type PA systems from what I understand. However, secure locking, improved safety from shorting, etc, and easy, mostly tool free repair is IMO why they have become standard on most bass heads at this point.

8. worxforme

worxforme Self Actualized Bad Speller

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    You might want to ask your/a tech how much he/she would charge out the door.

My tech charged me $45 labor and $7 for the part to do that to my amp.

I thought it was worth it and it looks like I'm in the minority.

9. Hi.

You had PCB mounted jacks on a cramped up chassis, right?

I've done a Speakon mod for quite a few amps, mainly to prevent idiots from blowing up or damaging stuff, but only when there's enough room to do so.

Regards
    Sam

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Put the amp in a 3 space rack case with rear rails. Take a 1 space rack blank panel and drill it out to accept the speakon. Wire a stout 1/4" plug to the speakon and leave it installed all the time.

I did this with my old WT-800. Banana & 1/4" outputs on that one and I wanted to bi-amp using a 4 wire Speakon cable. Works like a charm.

11. worxforme

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    PCB mounted-Yes
    Cramped up-? He said so, but I never opened it up. He just told me how he had to do it when I picked it up etc.

12. Hi.

Hold on to that tech, sounds like a keeper :).

Regards
    Sam

13. worxforme

Dec 10, 2009
    LAnsing MI
    He's famous on the forums (guitar mostly).

Shiawassee Technical in Lansing MI

ENZO. His name deserves all caps!

14. I considered doing this to my Hartke HA4000. Didn't bother in the end. So yet another vote for leaving what ain't broke alone.

15. ian_s

ian_s

Jul 10, 2009
    Larry Hartke does appear on the forums now and again... perhaps he might chime in on why the LH500 doesn't have Speakons?

16. Or why there's no effects loop... :bag:

My assumption is to keep cost down, which can't be argued with. It's a whole lotta head for a great price. I'm not missing the speakons. Never had em before and it was never once in my life an issue, so no need for them now.

17. Larry Hartke

Larry Hartke

Feb 27, 2010
    Hartke Systems
    Speakon cables are not necessary on a 500 watt amplifier; they only come into play with higher power amplifiers which is why they are provided on the LH-1000.

I've never heard of loose 1/4" connectors being a problem unless they are defective or damaged. They have been an industry standard for years and they work.

You can use a 1/4" to Speakon connector cable if you like but there will be no sound or power handling advantage.

The LH-500 does have an effects loop...and the LH-500 amplifier has a street price $349.00 not $450.00

18. Hartke customer service strikes again.

If only I could afford your amps....

19. :oops: what's wrong with me?!?! Too much somethin I suppose... ;)

20. dbase

dbase Gold Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2008
    South Jersey, USA..
    Thanks for responding Larry, I opened up the amp for the first time figuring I could just bend the female plug so the male would fit tighter and not wiggle around (That didnt come off sounding correct) to the point that the vibration makes it fall out of the speaker cab. I thought I blew the cab at a gig but the plug fell out of one of the cabs. These plugs inside the amp are modules soldered to the circuit board. How can I get a tight fit on the speaker connectors. I'm using the extra large plugs and cable for good measure.