I want to cut in a fuzz circuit

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Feb 18, 2002.

  1. thrash_jazz


    Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

    I was going to try modding the tone control on my [guinea-pig] J-Bass copy into a fuzz circuit. I know you can do it with certain components like the Stewart-Macdonald Black Ice, but I wanted to do it from the ground up...

    Anyway, I gather that fuzz results from having a square-edged sound wave. In fuzz pedals, is this acheived with a bistable multivibrator circuit (or whatever else), or is it just a cranked gain control, resulting in tons of clipping?

    Either way... how would you go about doing it?

    Any insight = much appreciated.
  2. here a few interesting links and schematics

    Fuzz Face