I want to do a pickup upgrade on my two Ibanez basses. One active one passive.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by TUEP, Feb 18, 2010.

1. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    The active bass that I have is a 99 or 2000 Ibanez SR 485 5 string bass guitar. I love the playability of this bass. I got it used for a good price and I am enjoying it. yet, the pickups are kinda of weak especially when I play the D and G. Plus a lot of times when I want to cut down on the mids depending on the tune it has that Fieldy kind of sound which seems to haunt a lot of 5 string Ibby's from that era. Is it the wood, pre-amp, pickups or what? I used to run my Fender MIM J bass on the same amp setting and didn't get that Fieldy thing. Anyway would upgrading the pups help, or do I need to upgrade the pre-amp too?

My other bass is a passive Ibanez GSR 200. It has a simple PJ configuration. I want to get it a bit hotter. The P has some thump, but the J pup doesn't have the growl I want.

Would could you guys suggest basslines, seymour duncan. I don't know much about the different after market companies. The only thing I can say is that I am not a fan of those EMG HZ soap bars. Please educate me.

2. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007
    bump

3. akmusicfreak

akmusicfreak

Sep 6, 2008
    Alaska
    I'm not into active so I don't have any input there, but as far as the passive side goes...... the Dimarzio PJ set might be right up your ally. You could try a forum search here for more info on these, lots of threads about them here.

4. Agito

Agito

Jun 27, 2009
    The GSR200 is active as well

5. TUEP

TUEP

Apr 8, 2007

This one is a 2001 model and they didn't make them active till like 06 or 07 I believe.

6. NewLaw83

NewLaw83

Jun 26, 2009
    Boston, MA
    i upgraded my 06 sr400 ibanez pickups and preamp. I went with EMG P/J and preamp. That helped my tone alot.

7. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I'm not sure about the active, but Fralin makes great pups for passive. The P pup on my Glaub kills - I like it better than the stock Lakland pup.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 5, 2021