Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want to experiment

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by doublemuff216, Oct 5, 2004.

1. doublemuff216

doublemuff216

Jun 14, 2004
    Astoria NY
    say i had these pups...mexi precisions...and i wanted to recoil them...what would be the different sounds i could get out of it and what are my options(direction of coiling, guage of wire...etc) help here would be greatly appreciated
    thanks a bunch,
    Bob

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

not to discourage anyone from getting jazz'd about something but from what I've gathered, rewinding a pup is tedious, boring, no-fun, and fundamentally crapshoot stuff for someone without lots of experience. Which is not to say doing it hasn't crossed my mind before. I've ran across general info on what it takes to get variations in tone from a pup but nothing specific enough to get up about. But I'd bet it's out there if you know where to look or are earnest enough to search your brains out.

Another aspect is that handwound pups aren't handwound but handfed by controling the winding that is actually wrapped and counted by a mechanical Dr. Who looking gadget - that you can either rig yourself or purchase off StewMac or the like for some $300. And for that kind of coin you can buy Lane Poors.

It's not impossible to wind a pup by hand and I've read it can be done in a day to two days time. It's highly probable that you'll break the winding in the process and you probably wouldn't have enough control to make any of the knowledge you've dug up of any use - plus you'd never duplicate the pup even if it sounded fantastic.

But you can get small amounts of pup wire from StewMac.com. Seems normally it's sold in like 25 lb rolls and not cheap. And that's a start!

-----------------------------

Don't go buying anyone's answer if your question was for free (GooseCreek Symphony)

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    A couple of questions to keep in mind if you are considering hand-winding (literally) your own pickups: How high can you count without losing track? If it's a P-bass pickup you're talking about doing, can you make the response the same on both sections? And do you want it to be the same? Not to discourage you, but these are things to keep in mind.

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I know some TBr's have attempted winding pups. I haven't, but it would be cool to hear from someone who's done so or even actually seen it done. Periodically someone show's up on ebay that's sells pups they've wound. Seems the last guy was from Florida.

5. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I have a friend who wants to do this too and I think he's nuts. Especially as he wants to build his own winder too. Winding coils is a bore and has all the hassles you mentioned. Very low cost+hassle to benefit ratio unless it's your passion.

Wire wholesalers will sell it (probably) a lot cheaper. It's just magnet wire.

6. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Attach a mechanical counter.

7. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I'd say if your up for it go for it. Along these lines I built an experimental test lab cab (held 6 15" speakers - ShpeakenShtien, Frank for short) and I would never build another cab but I got into it at the time and it was fun as well as being a learning experience and something to get up about.

I just wanted to point out that winding a useable pup is not simply a matter of wrapping wire and around a bobbin and and soldering a couple leads. Even pup manufacturer's have different takes on it. On the other hand, the early Dan Electro pups looked like a piece of welding slag so it's all relative.

I was skimming through a copy of Guitar Electronics for Musicians and that has some decent groundwork for pup winding that would probably be worth the cost as well as having other useful info for passive electronics - pretty useless for active stuff as it was basically written before their time and from what I can tell, has never been updated. $20 or $30 in any Sam Ash or equivalent. I got mine off ebay for $10 shipped if you're in no hurry.

Also if it's not obvious yet, like speaker cabs, you will spend as much or more in the endeavor than if you just bought pups outright.