I want to get a Magicstomp EB, convince me otherwise

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by wilser, Jul 19, 2005.

1. Here's the reasons why:
    1. I've got $200
    2. I need a 1 stomp solution
    3. Need preamp with EQ
    4. Need tuner
    5. Need to be able to mute
    6. Need compressor
    7. FX are fairly nice

The only drawback I can see is that it has no DI (XLR). I don't mind modeled preamps and cabs.

Can you object to this?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    if that's all you need, it should do the job fine.
    I thought the sounds were pretty good on it, my main objection was that I couldn't add the patches so much. For example, it's not like other multifx where you can choose to have (for example) distortion and chorus.
    The magicstomp has n number of patches, each of which has an effect. That effect might be a combo itself, there were come examples I can't remember for sure (probably like chorus + reverb) but you couldn't make your own combos. If you don't need that, it'll do you fine.
  3. Well,
    My magicstomp arrived yesterday. I JUST LOVE IT!!!! I wanted to use it to beef up my sound when going direct and possibly some effects when needed here and there. It does a great job of replacing amp/rigs when going direct. Factory patches are useless basically, but some can get you a great starting point to creating great tones. The basspreamp effect is extremely useful, compression sounds very good and effects are better sounding than the other modeling products out there (to my ears, at least). The onlything some of you might not like is the fact that you can only use one effect at a given time. This is fine for me, since it already has some 'multi-effect' effects that are really all I need (like distortion/delay, reverb/delay, distortion/flange, amp/chorus, etc).

If you're looking to replace a truckload of effects pedals, this is not for you (cause you can't use more than one at a time), but if you're looking for a 'preamp' time of thing with good sounding occasional effects, then this unit is for you!

PLUS, did I say it sounds GREAT?!?!?! I was able to get that SBDDI grit, SVT sound, deep reggae, warm clean tube pre, crazy fuzz, tight distortion ...it's got all I need!

Plus a mute/tuner mode, that I really wanted.

I recommend it!
  4. LoGruvz

Apr 11, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I'm thinking about getting one. I only need one effect at a time. Is there a synth sound on it? How is the EQ - can you dial in a good slap sound with the EQ (smiley face kinda thing even tho it is only a 3 band)? Is there a tremolo? How does the Wah sound?
  5. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    I'd like an occasional Phaser, flanger and ring mod and a, just you know for the fun of having extra effect and not be ruined, i'll think I'll try one of these