i want to get fatter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Sep 21, 2021.

1. I want a little fatter sound. I don't want to use a EQ pedal. I was told by someone to use an old DOD FX25 pedal. Is there anything out there out there that I can get with out selling the farm and the grandkids.

mb94952 and WarwickE36 like this.
  2. RJ

RJ Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Youre likely going to get a lot of folks recommending compression.

You might also need to consider changing your avatar...

Billyzoom, sethlow3, Dragan and 23 others like this.
  3. gh0st42

gh0st42 Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2019
    Colorado
    The tricky part is that "Fatter" can mean different things to different people. Any song examples that have the "fatness" you seek?

What kind of bass and amp are you using currently? A Picture of amp EQ settings might help as well. Some EQ tweaks on your existing gear may be all it takes.

In general, if the bass and amp can't get you there, an EQ Pedal, Compressor (one known for adding character instead of being transparent), or possibly a tube preamp of some kind might do the trick.

Curious as to why you don't want to go the EQ route? It's typically the easiest and most intuitive way to add some more thickness to the lows or mids, that can help with fattening up tone.

The DOD FX25 is an odd recommendation for this, as it's an Envelope Filter/Auto Wah type effect.
    If the "quack" or funkiness of an envelope filter/auto wah is what you are after, there's lots of great options other than an older DOD pedal.

For the compressor route, it might be worth checking out the Diamond Bass Compressor as a pretty budget friendly option that's known for adding some thickness and character while evening out your playing dynamics.

For more "Synthy" fat thickness, an Octave down pedal, or maybe something like a Mantic Hulk or DOD Meatbox if you want to get down right silly "thick" and rattle everything within a couple miles.

dbbltime, DeepHz and gtirard like this.
  4. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Eat lots of carbs.

For this to work optimally though you would also want not to exercise.

5. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Weight?
    I dunno, I’d look at all shades of overdrive, distortion, fuzz, and couple that with a chorus pedal, or the ‘doubler’ boxes like the Mimic or similar, possibly an octave; as with all things, moderation is the best way to go.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  6. cusar5

cusar5

Feb 17, 2008
    Planet Iommia
    Sushibox Space Heater. First time I turned it on, I thought "oh, that's fat!"

Killing Floor and Zbysek like this.
  7. I have a feeling they were suggesting the DOD FX 250 Preamp Overdrive that certainly does have a certain thickening character, whether or not it is what you are looking for is another matter. They do show up used and there are many clones as well as boutique versions based on the circuit design. I have a Mosky D250x mini pedal that is a clone of the
    DOD250 and the MXR Distortion+ with the flip of a switch both have a certain phattening result at low gain, I found it on Amazon. There is a gold version for sale on Reverb.

DOD FX250 Overdrive Preamp | David's Gear Emporium | Reverb

gh0st42 likes this.
  8. sonojono

sonojono

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    Ditch the avatar and get yourself a compressor pedal or a GK head that’s already got some built in compression.

9. EatS1stBassist

EatS1stBassist

Apr 15, 2016
    So cal
    Lmao! :laugh: Someone had to say it! Lol!:roflmao:

Spidey2112, El_Charro and NoiseNinja like this.
  10. Starting with the hardware (bass, strings, pickups, etc.) I like to go for what ever gives me a decent fundamental and lots of overtones (low mids and high mids), and then shape that with tone adjustments at the amp or preamp. You don't *need* an EQ pedal, but EQ adjustments at your amp or preamp will then get you 80% there. Add a (properly configured) compressor, distortion, and chorus and that gives you the other 20%.

11. I can tell you this, 100 Watt Marshall cranked, into a 4-12 cab will give you fat, (Ref Jack Bruce The Doctor West, Bruce, and Lange), if that’s the kind of fat you are looking for. JMO.

rmayer likes this.
  12. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Watts and speakers and more watts and more speakers

Want thin, less watts and less speakers

Frodolicious likes this.
  13. mobeme23

mobeme23 Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2018
    NorCal, Coastside
    two things worked for my rig:
    dunlop flats = more fatter
    diamond bass comp = more fatter

personally: more beer = more fatter

ElMon, PockySteve, dbbltime and 3 others like this.
  14. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    "Fat" can mean so many different things that telling you what to do to achieve greater girth is a total crapshoot - if you can post an example of a sound you think is "fat", it'll help immensely.

Why the aversion to eq?

VerryBerry and Funky40 like this.
  15. Its hard for me to explain what I want to hear, I want to hear a deep low end like its coming out of the basement maybe a deep lows on steroids. a clean low end, my problem with eqs they sometimes boost other things I don't want even if you run them flat. a smooth deep low would be cool not a thud. at church i use a MarkBass Jeff Berlin 151p with a 15, at home i use a GK MB15. i use a Ibanez Mikro short scale with flat wounds my main basis a Lakland TBS Hollowbody with flatwounds

sonojono and Funky40 like this.
  16. Lowendchamp

Lowendchamp

Jun 27, 2021
    Shelton WA
    EB cobalt flats! FAT sound!

Nuage420 and inthevelvet like this.
  17. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    These two pedals will go a long way towards fattening things up.

fat pedals.jpg

ElectricMatthew and scott sinner like this.
  18. gtirard

gtirard

Feb 22, 2020
    Paris, France
    Try a short scale bass. Mine has much more "omf" than my other regular-scale basses. It's a semi-hollow body with light strings, and it gives all the fat I can dream of.

19. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    For fat tones, I find that P bass pickups and 15" speakers are not the answer. They both favor low mids.
    J type pickups and multiple 10" speakers in a modern cabinet have a deeper extension into the lows.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 28, 2021