Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to get the output of my passive bass to the level of my active...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Slater, Nov 4, 2005.

1. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I'm looking for a stomp box to get the level of my Fender Classic '50s P-Bass to about the same output level as my EBMM Bongo. This way I don't have to fiddle with my amp settings.

I've been looking at the Sadowsky Stomp Box, Fulltone Fat-boost, and the new Xotic Bass RC Booster. I haven't tried any of them yet...

Does anyone have any other suggestions or recommendations?...

2. If all you are looking to do is boost output, without actually changing anything, then you could use an EQ pedal and just turn up the output gain without changing anything else.

Most any effect or stomp with an output control could be used to do this - just depends on whether you actually want to use the effect or not otherwise.

Another alternative would be to cut the output level of the other bass to match that of the passive - could be done onboard or with a box the same way.

I believe there may be "boost" pedals around to do specifically this sort of job...

3. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    All of those would work. I have also used a Sparkle Drive as a clean boost.

A Bassbone would work well but is expensive. It is designed to match two basses.

I needed more gain from my P bass. I built a small one transistor amp with a trim pot for the gain. I set it for about 10dB boost and closed up the box, Now I have a nice little no-brainer booster.

4. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    You might try this:

[​IMG]

Graeme :bassist:

5. That'd be the exact thing I was talking about. Think, and a fellow TB'er makes it so...

6. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Thanks for the replies. :)

As long as I'm going thru the hassle of setting up a pedal, I'm thinking I might as well get something with some tone control.

Right now I'm leaning towards the Xotic Bass RC Booster, as it seems to be made for exactly what I want.

I don't need to get something right away, so I'm still open to more suggetions and recommendations...

7. Budonze

Budonze

Nov 2, 2000
    that SD pickup booster is cool but I have heard issues with audible clicking when switching it on and off...

Check out the MXR Micro Amp too. or the Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Picoso its booster but with good side effects too

http://www.catalinbread.com/poblano.html

8. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could always lower the volume knob on the MM so it matches the P and save some $$$.

9. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Sacrilege!! Hissss! Death before turning down the volume :mad:

Oh, wait, I misread. I thought you said to turn down the volume on the P. Carry on ;)

10. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    That would work, but I like the way my amp sounds and reacts with the active bass.

11. IcedEarthWOM

IcedEarthWOM

Oct 2, 2005
    The BD-2 can be used a a booster (check out pg.7 of the effects manual here)

12. I've been there, and was surprised by the amount of people who seriously recommended to me that I should just turn down my active bass!

What I eventually settled on was the EBS Micro Bass II DI/Preamp box of tricks. I found it to be more fully featured than the BassBone, and with better sounding EQ centres to boot. It also has some really nifty features that are virtually unique in the bass processing world, especially in pedal form. It incorporates the EBS UniDrive overdrive circuitry which is killer-weak-sweet.

I plan to post a review in a few days when I've had more time with it (and a chance to sweep out it's frequency response curves), but suffice to say first impressions are excellent. The extremely high input impedance on the A channel has brought out the best in my passive Corvette, and the extensive level matching means that all my pedals (and my amp) now respond in the same way to both my basses.

The one thing I feel it lacks is a good way of leveling out the clean vs. distortion when using it as a distortion stomp box. However, I plan to always use it as a 2 ch. preamp anyway, so that's not a biggy for me.

13. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    Yeah, mxr micro amp is simple and effective...

14. dadodetres

dadodetres

Dec 19, 2004
    URUGUAY
    doesnt your amp have 2 inputs? (1 in 0 and the other in -10 dB)

15. that might not be accurate enough to "match" levels. Plus, although the OP didn't mention pedals, it doesn't help when using outboard effects.

16. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Lowering the volume on the MM won't make it passive. :confused:

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
  18. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I know. I worded my reply poorly. :oops:

The situation is...

I really like my set-up with the MusicMan. The hotter input reacts with my amp settings very well for me. So... ...I'm just trying to get similar performance from my P-Bass, but still have that P-Bass sound.

Thanks again to everyone for replying and trying to help. :)

The Xotic pedal still seems to be the one right now. I'm waiting to see if a local shop (that has other Xotic pedals in stock) will order the new Bass RC Booster so I can try before I buy.

The Bassbone looks good, but I don't really need to affect the MM. And, I usually only play one bass during a gig. I don't switch basses.

19. No, but it's still not desirable. Ideally, you want to raise the volume of the softer bass to the level of the louder bass. Running a decent signal into your amplifier is important.

I can! EBS MicroBass II
    Some comparisons:
    - It runs on a standard 9V 10mA supply compared to 15VDC 400mA for the bassbone. (That's a difference of 5.91W!!! I could just about run my whole pedalboard off that much power!)
    - it has a headphone output
    - the effects loop uses standard cables not Y inserts
    - the A channel input impedance is extremely high - bringing life to older passive pups and piezo systems, (in fact, even the relatively low input impedance of ch. 2 is still more than twice that of the bassbone)
    - ch. 2 midrange is parametric not fixed.

Plus, EBS actually list the frequency response of the unit whereas Radial do not, which makes me suspicious. All that added to what I mentioned previously about this device and it's a hands down winner in my book.

20. Slater

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have tried a few of these pedals, and read-up on the rest. Of the pedals that I tried, I determined that I won't really know how they will perform for me until I try them with my rig.

Here is a list of the contenders:

MXR Micro Amp
    Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
    HAO Rust Booster
    AnalogMan Bad Bob
    Fulltone Fatboost
    Catalinbread Sagrado Poblano Boost
    Xotic Bass RC Booster
    Keeley Katana
    Z. Vex Super Hard On

So, unless someone can give me a good reason not to, I'm going to go with the MXR Micro Amp. I figure if I can be pleased with the less expensive Micro Amp, I won't know or miss the difference from the boutique pedals...