Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to go to Norway

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Wilbyman, Nov 8, 2005.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    This is way OT, but I've been looking at pictures of Norway on the internet and it is incredibly beautiful. I would like to take my kayak and try to find some not-deadly whitewater...but it looks like there are only BIG drops (waterfalls). Anyway...

I just want to solicit anybody who has visited Norway to tell me about their experience (no kayaking necessary). The pictures are so beautiful I'm almost in tears.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    Norway is beautiful, I was lucky enough to be touring there last year. I can't really say more than what the pictures are showing. If you have the opportunity to go... do it. I also recommend Denmark and Switzerland, incredible scenery. :smug:

3. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    I want to go to Norway too.

I didn't know it before I saw those pix. Ain't mother nature a fantastic artist?.

4. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well. The photos are quite nice, but they don't do justice to the real thing. Not by a long shot. :)
    You really should come visit, yes; take the Flåm railway and spend some time doing it.... preview.... and then take Hurtigruten (boat) to the north of Norway and experience the midnight sun.... teaser....

You might want to go during the spring or summer though; right now it might be a bit cold and wet.... here's the autumn view from my window:
    [​IMG]

5. well I can say I've seen at least a bit of Europe, not that much, but Norway's scenery was easily the best that's competing with

switzerland france italy spain Ireland and some other countries

I especially liked the high lands, I think they're called fjelds, not sure though, really stunning

If you go for the nature it'll be worth it definatly, I do hope you like hiking though, that's what you should be doing a lot.

The only region came close was this region in western Ireland to the north and west of Galway, forgot the name

6. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    Norway is nice ;)

7. fjeld = mountain

8. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    +1 - there's only one thing wrong with Norway - the prize of beer. :)

9. Awesome pics. I wanna go there for the ladies... *drool*

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Elros, it may be wet but it is still beautiful outside your window! I'm from West Virginia, which is pretty rugged terrain (lots of mountains, not quite like yours...). Maybe Brian Barrett would pay me to hand deliver your Benavente when it's done?

Thanks for the links. What months do you think are the best time to visit Norway?

11. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    +1 Norway is a beatiful country, I've played there a few seasons and been on holiday as well, it is just polar opposite of my home country which is flat and pretty boring.... :bassist:

12. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    sad, but true :-(

13. Sad but true!?!?

How is beer as a prize sad? What does one have to do for said prize in Norway?

14. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

1} Have as much disposable income as Bill Gates, or
    2} Brew your own.

15. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I'll go with you!! :)

That area has always intrigued me. I'd love to roam around the countryside checking out those old barns and houses like in your fourth picture. It would be cool to just stand in one of those little houses and imagine what went on hundreds of years ago inside.

-Mike

16. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I was in Norway back in 1992. Very beautiful country. IIRC the town we were deployed to was called Bodenlier. It was above the artic circle. You should go there. You'd really like it.

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I wanna go check out some true live Norweigen black metal.

And some ladies too. :D

18. The Reff

The Reff

Feb 11, 2004
    Denmark
    Sorry - I should have spelled it price - I just checked my dictionary, as in how much they charge for a beer.

19. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    That'd be nice!

My favorite time of year is spring, particularly early spring.... March, April, maybe May.... but early spring is risky - it may still be wet and cold for a while. But when spring breaks and everything starts to blossom .... then the air is so sweet, it's gratifying just to wake up in the morning and get out to breathe that air for a while. Especially if it's been raining a bit during the night.
    Considering the weather, summer is probably a safer bet, but not quite as fantastic as spring, IMO. Long days, and the nights never get quite dark - it sort of skips night and goes straight from dusk to dawn.
    Then again, autumn is very nice as well, in its own particular way.
    Winter is also quite nice, especially if we get some snow. The nights are a bit long though.
    Where I live, on the south west coast near Stavanger, the weather is very unpredictable the whole year.... it's hit or miss no matter when you choose to go.
    Probably the best thing would be to spend an entire year here. :ninja:
    In fact, why don't you bring your family and settle down here. You won't regret it! Unless you're fond of cheap beer.

Not easy to get a good recommandation out of me, is it? :rollno: