I want to go wireless...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by I_Dream_Of_Bass, Feb 8, 2001.

1. I_Dream_Of_Bass

Feb 8, 2001
    I wasn't sure which forum to post this under, but since this forum has the most threads/posts, I'll post here. I'm looking for a wireless for my bass since my amp isn't always placed in the best spot and I don't like running 40 feet of cable to hook up everything and be able to have some kind of movement. I don't know much about wireless units, so I would appreciate as much info as anyone of you can provide. I'm looking for something with good range, clear signal, ease-of-use, and solid construction (meaning I won't have to cry if I drop the thing.) If you could also post prices I would really appreciate it. And I don't really have a price range...but as always, cheaper is better!!!

Thanks in advance...
  2. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I would recommend the Nady Silver Series 332GT or the Gold Series 442GT, both are High-Band VHF and the 442 features 4 selectable channels. Those go for about $140 --> $200 wich makes them the best in that price range. (I use Nady , and happy with it.)

If you want something more high end, I would go for the New Samson AIR UHF ultra compact, since it doesnt have a body pack it is easier to use and wear.

3. And I'll move it over to Miscellaneous...

4. this is interesting, i'm interested to, i have a friend who actually just uses a wireless to amplify his acoustic 12-string g****r, would i have any trouble with the radio waves or anything, and end up with a crappy sound??
  5. I've wondered about going wireless too. My concern is how to use it with an effects pedal. I've got a Digitech BP8 and it seems to me you'd end up using a cable to go from the pedal to the amp. Or am I just clueless?
  6. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I use a Nady 201 wireless i bought almost 10 years ago and it has never failed me. They say in the manual that you have about 900 feet line of sight, but the delay makes it almost impossible to play. Within the confines of the stage, there are no problems at all.
  7. I first started going wireless about 3 years ago after about 30 years of stepping on my cable. I wish I had started using one a long time ago. It sure does save a lot of wear and tear on your instrument input jack. I have a Sure Access Diversity which works just fine but if I ever get another wireless I would for sure get a high band VHF system. There have been only a couple of times when my wireless interfered with another wireless on stage and one time it made all the TV's in a sports bar we were playing in go blank when I turned it on. With the VHF systems I don't think you would ever have any of those problems. Sometimes it makes no sense to set the wireless up, like when you are on a small stage and can't move two foot from your amp, but believe me you will be spoiled when you get used to playing with one.
  8. I use a Nady 201, and have never had any problems, never had and interference, and it does'nt alter my sound at all. I'm so used to it, I even use it on tiny stages, just 'cos I hate standing on my cord.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Be careful about which wireless you buy. A four-string bass goes down to about 40hz, and a five goes down to about 30hz (I know, I know, 30.9). If you buy a wireless with a frequency range of, say, 50hz - 20Khz, you may get a fairly crappy sound down on your B and E strings. Make sure you buy a unit that works down to 20hz or so. The Shure Access UHF unit does this. GC sells them for about $399, but you can get them down to about $350 or so. I don't think all of the Nady units go this low. Also, I don't think the Shure VHF units do, either. Of course what you REALLY want is an X-wire digital unit. Good luck.
  10. Samson AirLine, nuff said....
  11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL

Where can one find an X-wire? The website hasn't seemed to work in months. Has the company gone out of business?
  12. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    What about the Sennheiser digital wireless? In the AMS catalog I have it says its the world's only digital wireless, which I don't think is true considering X-wire been around for a few years.

I heard somewhere that X-wire is now making parts for Shure, but I don't know how reliable that source was.
  13. The Sennheiser digital system runs about $5000 per channel of RF!! That being said, it's also the best system on the planet. The next best would be the new Shure UHF system. My advice (I'm not trying to offend anyone, here) would be to not even consider VHF. They're pretty much useless because the VHF band is pretty much full. It's hard to find unused frequencies, especially in cities.
  14. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Sennheiser bought or licensed X-wire's technology, but is using lower quality D/A - A/D conversion. They're $600 or $700. You can find used X-wires for sale occasionally (michaeln just sold one here), but I haven't been able to hook up with X-wire either. Shure's high-end UHF stuff is a couple grand or so, but their Access UHF has worked very well for me so far.
  15. Munji,
    We're obviously not talking about the same RF units here. I can assure you the pro-audio digital UHF (the one all the awards shows, Celine Dion, etc. use) system from Sennheiser is about 5k per channel.... I didn't know they even made MI stuff, but I work in pro audio so that isn't surprising...
  16. I read an interesting article about the digital systems and it said something about the advent of digital TV etc disrupts the signal which is bad for anyone in Australia as Digital TV is now being used and will go into full effect in 2007. I know it's a long way off but it is in use now so does anyone know if it does affect the signal or is it just some sort of marketing thing to make you buy new gear.
  17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Yeah, I'm talking about amateur audio. There's pro audio and there's pro audio. Not even many pros spend $5k on wireless. Maybe the BIG BIG names like Celine Dion, but most pros use the sub $1k stuff. Y'know, GC has a "pro audio" department, too. Are you one of those guys? They don't even carry the high end stuff there.
  18. Nah, I'm not one of those guys, heheh. I'm actually into real pro audio. Arenas, big theatres, festivals that kinda stuff. Multi-million dollar rigs. I've done a lot of touring here in Canada and internationally as a sound engineer. Recently I've put that stuff on the back burner to study electrical engineering (I want to get into designing the stuff!). The last production co I worked for had 12 channels of Sennheiser UHF and 12 of the high end Shure UHF. Those two RF systems are the only ones that have always worked (in my experience) dropout free good, full sound. 'Course they still don't sound as good as a wire.......
  19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I was watching my Bee Gees DVD tonight, One Night Only, shot in Las Vegas. Their special guest star was Celine Dion, of all people. Wanna know what her gear was? An SM-58 (not even Beta), with a cord. There you are.
  20. Interesting... i've crewed a show on each of her two last tours and she used the Sennheiser RF system both times. As an aside, I'm not a real big Celine Dion fan, but she had the best live sound I've ever heard. CD quality in a big stinky hockey arena. As another aside, Beta 58s are horrible vocal mics! Give me an SM 58 over a beta 58 any day, or better yet a beta 87.