I want to learn more...

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Twitch Kungfu, Apr 28, 2003.

1. Well, I have played bass for 1 year and a 1/2. I had a teacher for a while, and I have really dedicated myself. I play with 2 bands. One a garage band so we arent going anywhere :D, and A Church band which has helped me improve because all the other musicians are adults. (I am 15). Now, I dont have the money to get another teacher, my old teacher recently moved to Indie to fullfil his dream of being in a band (Ashworth). I have been listening to more intricet songs and learning those. I have been told I am a "Way above average bass player" for my age. And I feel like I am (Not to brag ofcourse). I can do almost anything I put my mind to (Like any muscian).

But I still feel like there is much I am missing, and I would LOVE to learn. So if anyone could post various tricks and things that help them improve in this thread It would be much appreciated. I would see if I already knew them and if I didnt I would learn them. Thankyou much.

-Josh (The Twitch) :D
  2. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    Some usefull tecniques and the names of the one who has written about it on their sites :

3 finger stringcrossing - gary willis
    Palm muting - gary willis
    3 finger playing - steve digiorgio

Since you seem to have the ability to play anything you want I can recomend you to try some of theese songs : http://www.lucaspickford.com/transbass.htm

Some of them are very tricky and I can recomend Water on the brain pt.2, Joe Frazier, Self Defense and Giant Steps. Thoose songs will put you to the test pretty well.

Good luck!
  3. Well, the Lucas link did not work. :(

But I did look into the other stuff. I now am Working on Steve DiGiorgio right hand speed fingering. So thankyou for that.

All the Gary Willis stuff is things I already know/do. But thankyou anyways. :)

4. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    A great way to improve is playing out with other people. Seems like you're doing that already but want to do more.

Why not ask the people you play with at your church where else they play? Go and check it out sometime if you can. Or, maybe ask them if they want to jam outside of church sometime. If they are good people, they will see your desire to learn and help.

Unfortunately there are no "tricks" to improving - it's just good ole elbow grease that'll do that :)

Best of luck to ya!
  5. Thanks for the Advice!

I try to Jam with them EVERY chance I get. Between services they wanna sit down and mingle and I want them to come play with me. :D Most of the time they do.

I used to be "2nd Bass" at our church. But the man that played for "1st bass" is overloaded with work. He has been playing for quite along time, (Longer then I have been born :eek: I know, that isnt that long but still :p ) And I would always have him help me with new things in his spare time, but now I am matching his skill. All I need to do is be a little bit more fluid in my playing. And I have been working on that. I have also been trying to "feel" the bass lines I am playing. I have been learning alot of "Five Iron Frenzy" songs. (Ska band) and that has been helping.

I take any chance I can get to Jam! :bassist:

Thanks for the Advice!

6. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    There are no tricks or secrets to music.
    Can you read music?
    Can you write music?
    Can you look at a piece of music and sing it?
    Can you read a chord chart and walk and or improvise over those changes logically and in a musical fashion?
    How many songs are in your repertoire that you can play from memory?
    If a band leader said to you "Josh,note the bass tacet in the intro then we'll read the A section as is,A2 as well, play the bridge,then A1,take the money sign but the repeat on A is up a tone,after the second A,go straight to the coda,don't forget we've modulated,it's not written,and we'll take it as a rit.,it's not written either so look for my cue."
    Could you do it?

Is there anything there you need to learn?
  7. You sure know how to make someone feel stupid. :D

I can walk and Improvise just fine.

If you would explain your "Riddle" in lamens terms then I might get it.

NOTE: When I said "Tricks" I meant, techniques.
  8. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    It's not a riddle Josh,it's real music talk,and very simple music talk at that.It was'nt to make you feel stupid.You say you're 15,you've been playing for a year and a half,you've pretty much got it all figured out,and you just need to learn a few tricks(techniques)and you're gonna be fine.There is so much more to being a musician than that.Technique comes after,do you know what I mean?Real musicians will want to play with you when you can speak the language,regardless of your technique.You can have all the technique in the world,but if somebody asks you to use it in a specific musical way,and you don't understand what they're talking about,you're screwed.Ya know what I mean?
    You said you can walk and improvise just fine,ok,give me some notes and rhythms,that you would play over iim7 b5,V7,I Ma7 sharp11,in Bb major,just spell them out.
    You also did'nt answer my other questions.;)

I'm asking because I'm interested in really helping you.I am NOT trying to embarass you,maybe I'M wrong and ya got the whole thing figured out,but if you came on HERE,looking for tricks,I don't think so.
  9. Hmm. I will flat out say I do not know what you mean. :D When I walk and Improvise I just walk in the scale of the root note, Major or Minor depending on the guitar. I will hammer on to the the other notes as well. IE: Guitar player is playing A Power Chord for G, I will walk the scale of the G scale and also use notes from the D as well.

I do not know all the technical terms for Music, But I am willing to learn and I would love to learn.

In aswer to your other questions:

By "reading" music what do you mean? Here is what I know; Tablature and Just written notes such as B G A C. That is how we do it at church and I just fill in from there. I can also write that kind of way.

If you are talking about the Bass Cleff and all that; I have been working on finding books to learn from and stuff.

I know you arent trying to embarrass me. So it is all good. :D
  10. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Now you're talking like a real musician!:)
    We're all students of music for life,the technical thing comes with and mostly after the learning thing.You know what I mean?Look for MUSICAL answers to your questions,and the fluidity(chops)you want will come.
    There's guys here who have played for years,made lots of cash with their bass,and will still tell you they have lots to learn.Think about that:cool: Any questions,ask!!:bassist:
  11. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Note to self - start putting bottle of Aspirin and/or Maalox in gig bag! :eek:
  12. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province

13. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    lol@"the money sign". Never heard it called that before.
  14. Ok! Here is a question. Where can I learn about the "Am, Am11" stuff?
  15. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
  16. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You mean chords in general, or just those two? :D

Am = A Minor triad = A C E
    Am11 = A Minor triad with minor 7th & 11th = A C E G D

There ya go, sorted!! :D

Seriously though, there are a wealth of theory books around the place - I'm not really the one to recommend ones to you - though, if you're interested in Jazz, I can really recommend Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" (as will many others around here).

However, I feel the most important thing here is to listen. You'll want to learn the theory "on paper" as it were - and a book like the Levine one is very useful for that - but the important thing is to get the sound of it into your head.

What you need is, a CD/tape player, a keyboard instrument of some kind, and your CD collection (and your ears) - and transcribe!!
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Actually Am11 is A C E G B D. The 11 implies that all the extensions below are included. A C E G D is Am7 (add 11).
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Well, sure - but it depends who you ask. I'm not aware that there's a definitive definition?

I'd say it doesn't have to include the 9th to be Am11. Am7(add11) isn't really a chord symbol you see used, IME. Things like add9, add11 etc I would expect to see used on chords that don't contain a 7th - e.g. C(add9) = C D E G.
  19. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    Standard jazz gig talk here:cool:
  20. ConU

Mar 5, 2003
    La Belle Province
    I think you may be getting confused by the "number",and the "letter" after the note name,if I'm correct.
    That's an excellent place to start!!
    Do a search here for chords and scales,and refine it to beginning threads.
    Take the time to really check some of the stuff out and then come back with really specific questions.
    You're on your way!!You'll learn more in 1/2 hour this way then you will in a month of learning fast and flashy techniques,and your playing will improve way faster!!