I want to learn notation

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bassistjedi, Jul 11, 2001.

1. Can anyone tell me of a website or book that helps teach notation? I learned some in grade school on the piano but couldn't remember to save my life. I did a search and did not find what i was looking for so please don't tell me to do a search. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  2. www.libster.com

I have a Mel Bay book that I'm learning from. I think it's called Electric Bass Method.
  3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Libster is a great site. I also recommend books as well. The Mel Bay series has some excellent examples. Generally they'll start with simple notes (whole, half, quarter notes) and rhythms, and then progress as you grasp those concepts. This is the way to go. Trying to tackle complex or syncopated rhythms right off the bad may be an exercise in futility. Start basic. If you can find a book with accompanying CD, that may be very helpful.
  4. Thanks for the help guys. Sorry it took me so long to say that. I did get a chance to check out Libster, and it was amazing how quickly most of that came back to me as I wasreading through the lessons. Good news boys, I'm on the road to recovery.