I want to learn preamp/pickup installation

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by ragetoca, Feb 22, 2022.

1. ragetoca

ragetoca Joe Supporting Member

Sep 16, 2013
    Georgia
    Apart from just following a wiring diagram, I would like to learn not only the how but understand the why of the wiring of preamps and pickups etc - is there a good guide, video or book where I can learn about it?

2. XLunacy

XLunacy

Nov 28, 2013
    France
    ragetoca likes this.
  3. ragetoca

Sep 16, 2013
    Georgia
    XLunacy likes this.
  4. dwizum

dwizum

Dec 21, 2018
    Fralin has (or, had) a blog with a lot of wiring articles on it as well.

And if you want to get in to YouTube, Stewmac makes a lot of great videos for repair and modification techniques. Their products tend to have good instructions as well, which are all on their website.

Generally, when it comes to active preamps, the wiring is basically a matter of following the manufacturer's directions. There's not really much in the way of general best practice or standards, at least as compared to wiring passive instruments. The best way to learn about installing active EQs is probably to just look at manufacturer instructions.

fig and ragetoca like this.
  5. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Do you mean building your own preamp or just installing a pre-built unit into an instrument? If you want to understand and build a preamp, here's an easy introduction made by TB'er @RobbieK- in fact he has a number of great videos that can teach you some valuable basics via demonstrations of mods, repairs and builds he has done filmed and explained in real-time.
    For more of the theory and projects another good intro would be the old book
    Electronic Projects for Musicians, A Comprehensive Guide
    by Craig Anderton:
    Electronic Projects for Musicians, A Comprehensive Guide | Amplified Parts

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
    fig and mcnach like this.
  6. ragetoca

Sep 16, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! I don't want to build my own preamps but it helps to understand how everything works...