Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

i want to learn some foreign beats

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassicallypulse, Jun 28, 2001.

1. Does anyone know of any good websites explaining
    out-of-the-ordinary rythyms like bossa nova, or latin beats. I'm tired of old rock beats i wants something insane to play in. STP claims to use bossa nova on their new album, i want to try it. Hell , any drummers snooping around that can help me would be nice too.
    Bradley McCherry

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well bossanova is actually quite old now and is probably the least interesting of the "Latin" rhythms. It's basically a straight 8 pulse - there is a bossa clave or accent pattern 3-2, but I'm useless at drawing diagrams in text - I'm sure Jim K will do it for you. ;)

Things like Afro Cuban 6/8 or tumbaos are probably more interesting. I would recommend books like "The Latin Bass Book" by Oscar Stagnaro, "The Latin Real Book" by Sher, which has loads of tunes and an appendix at the back which lists all the different rhythms with drum charts on how to play them. I would also suggest "Funkifying the Clave" a video with Lincoln Goines.

3. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Oddly enough, as "old" and "plain" as the bossa nova beat is, bossas never get old unless you're currently playing drums or bass. ;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'd recommend the Goines/Ammeen book(Funkifying The Clave For Bass & Drums); it's Gringo-friendly(IMO; if I could 'get' what they're describing, anyone can).

I'd also do the clapping/tapping execises mentioned by Goines/Ammeen(using both hands to 'play' the clave + the pulse). It will probably feel foreign, keep at it, es muy importanto! ;)
    BTW, incorporating BOTH hands rhythmically should translate over into your slapping/popping chops.

There may be some info at sites like www.rhythmweb.com
    www.chucksilverman.com (a drummer & educator)used to have some Latin/Afro-Cuban rhythms charted out...