1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to learn songs by ear...should i get this?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tropic owl, Jan 19, 2013.

1. tropic owl

tropic owl

Jan 13, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    TASCAM CD-BT2 Portable CD Bass Trainer

I saw someone post that its good and it has good reviews on guitar center. Would this be a good start to learning by ear?

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    I use a software program called Transcribe. It's about $40 and does everything you need to transcribe tunes.

3. That Sustain

That Sustain Inactive

Jan 14, 2013
    There is so much free information on youtube. Do you tune your bass to standard pitch? That definately helps.

4. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
  5. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I like the GB10 or the GT-R1 much better than the CD-BT2. You can store the music on an SD card, record your own bass parts and they have features which the CD-BT2 does not. The GT-R1 has an input jack for an MP3 player.

6. Staredge

Staredge

Aug 7, 2010
    Damascus, MD
    I used the guitar version for a while. Never used anything other than the slow down feature on it. Lots of effects and such, but never needed those. I used to burn CDs with a bunch of songs to work on. Kind of a PITA. I use Best Practice right now, which is a free program that slows songs down. Planning on getting an iPod touch so I can get Jamup XT. I've used that program's slow down feature, and really like it. Saves me from having to copy songs from iTunes to mp3s. Both programs are a lot easier to work with, but involve me needing a patch cord to hook up to my amp.

7. It's a good tool. I have one. I also have Transcribe!, which a an amazing software, it's very stable and basically works like a dream. Actually, there's a free trial period, you should go and download it right now!!!!

The only advantage that the Tascam has, is that it's portable. Of course, if you travel with your laptop, it's a moot point. Either will do the job.

8. mdalamond

mdalamond Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2012
    SE , North Carolina
    +1 for the the Tascam GB10

9. tropic owl

tropic owl

Jan 13, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    thanks everyone il def look into some of the other stuff too

10. tropic owl

tropic owl

Jan 13, 2013
    Leominster, MA
    and yes i do tune to standard

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021