I want to learn to play bass the right way. What should I do?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by MC Flex, Sep 4, 2000.

1. MC Flex

MC Flex

Sep 4, 2000
    I just started to play bass and I would like to know what I should do to get started in the right direction.
  2. first of all you should try to search on all forums about similar subjects... (believe me, it´s plenty of 'em!).

But anyway, just find a good teacher close to you if that´s possible and/or find some lessons online on various pages. some helpfull links might be for example:

endless list really...

but the bottom line is "Practice makes perfect" (well, maybe not perfect but it sure makes you better :D )
  3. the Qintar

the Qintar

Jul 24, 2000
    find a teacher and a bass that you like
  4. SBX1

Apr 7, 2000
    For there isn't right direction. The right direction is that you like and the kind of bassist you'll want became.
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Just try to keep in mind how your finger/wrist/arm joints, muscles and tendons work in your body. For example, when you touch your lefhand thumb with the other four fingers you'll see how you best place your thumb on the back of your bass's neck. Also it's best to keep your wrists fairly straight and not twist your arms and elbows too much to prevent stress on your muscles, tendons and joints (Gary Willis also adresses this topic in his video ('Progressive Bassics - REH Video). I used to check my posture and technique with a large mirror. As a rule of thumb: If it looks and feels easy and natural - you're on the right track...
  6. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Play Left Handed! :) Ah hahahaha! The Left Way is the Right Way!