1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to love Jazz basses, I really do.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by drummer5359, Aug 4, 2012.

1. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    In all of my years as a drummer who "fooled around" on bass, I've always admired jazz basses.

Since I've gotten serious about bass I've gravitated to being a P-bass player. I still intended on getting a Jazz bass though. I like how they sound in other people's hands, I like how they look. And I always assumed that I'd own one eventually.

Yesterday I spent about an hour at a shop playing different Jazz basses and I've finally decided that they just don't seem to work for me. Wanting them to work for me isn't enough.

2. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    Put a P neck on it.
    I have P necks on my Jazz's it makes them so much more comfortable for me to play

3. j.kernodle

j.kernodle Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    I know what you mean. I've always loved the look and went through a j bass hate phase, playing P basses and spectors only. then I played a couple of passive mike lulls with fralins. I never thought a single coil j bass could fill up so much space in a guitar heavy mix till I found that set up.

4. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    I think everyone has a bass like that. For me it's Stingray's. Love the way the sound when other people play them, but not when I've tried them. Don't like the feel either. I guess that's why there's so many basses out there though. What works for one person, may not for another.

5. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    My friend, there is NOTHING wrong with liking P-basses! (more than J's) :)

6. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    Play what feels and sounds best in your hands.....not what others like or make sound good

Peace

Doug

7. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Absolutely.

I guess I was just throwing out that I wanted to like playing them, and was suprised that I don't.

It's never been about what others think.

8. I go through phases, sometimes I only want to play a Jazz, then a P-bass, then a G&L, then a Ric, then Hofner, etc.. Just depends. Play what you like.

9. Herrick

Herrick

Jul 21, 2010
    Munchkin Land
    Drummer5359, what didn't you like about the Jazz Bass? I've been thinking about them on & off for months now. It's always the bridge pickup solo sound that keeps me from checking them out. I haven't played one in many years so I don't remember how the neck compares to a P neck.

10. metlman72

metlman72

Jun 29, 2011
    Long Island NY
    For me its the pick up configuration. I don't know what it is about it. I have tried quite a few different jazz basses with the same results every time.
    I guess I am just to used to a split P set up.

11. miles'tone

miles'tone

Feb 26, 2008
    Wales, U.K
    I feel the same way.
    Spent 10 years (!) with an American standard jazz that I really wanted to like. It looked beautiful and I enjoyed playing it acousticly at home but just could'nt get it to work for me live/with the band. It was OK, just not inspiring. Tried all manner of pickups in there but 'something was missing.
    Finally sold it on and now I play a P-bass with a jazz neck and fralin pup and I am in tone heaven now! Really inspiring bass to play...at last.

Always loved a good Jazz bass in the right hands and I still do.

12. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +1.

I love the way some of my bass playing heroes have made P basses sound, however, like you, something feels lacking when one's in my hands.

As long as you're keeping your mind open, there's nothing wrong with connecting more with certain models than others.

13. seang15

seang15

Aug 28, 2008
    Cary NC
    Blasphemy!!!

14. I've got both...an AV 62 Jazz and an AV 62 P both with flats....last few years I've been favoring the P-Bass....but I recently picked up the Jazz again (prefer it for reggae).....the necks couldn't be more different....the J is very thin....the P is real wide, but I have no problem switching back and forth. The thing I notice about the Jazz sound is that it projects differently than the P....it almost seems that the further from the amp you are the better the J sounds....I think this is why many people like the way a Jazz sounds when other people play it but not so much when they do.

15. I feel the same way about P basses! I keep trying them because others say how much they love them. I keep finding that I don't like the tone, neck width, body shape, single pickup, etc. compared to a J bass. There are many different bass styles available, so play what you like!

16. eddododo

eddododo Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2010
    Dont knock it til you play it in a mix though!
    Though.. I find plenty of pickups do jazz-versatile pretty well, but NOTHING does pbass like a pbass

17. drummer5359

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    I was figuring on getting a jazz bass since I have a great P. I guess that for now I'll save the money.

18. king_biscuit

king_biscuit Supporting Member

May 21, 2006
    US
    You need to play a good Jazz Bass live with your band to determine how it really sounds.

19. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I agree. By myself I actually really do dig the P bass sound. In a band I'm 100% J bass guy.

20. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

May 1, 2011
    Ive been more in the P camp lately, but I put a set of TIs on my old jazz bass and have been really digging it.