1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to make a DIY 2x6 mid range cab - any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Oct 3, 2013.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I want to add a 2x6 cab to make my 210 combo setup more full range. Does anybody here know where I could find plans for a cab like this?

2. With a 210, you do not need two 6" drivers. I suggest taking a look at the Emi Alpha mid driver. Put it in a sealed box with a passive cross over. Just plug it in parallel to your 210.

3. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Are you planning on bi-amping????? Why is your 210 not "full range enough"????? Details are sorely lacking!

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This^^

1 alpha6...or 2 with a switchable L-pad depending on how loud of bottom cabs you want to use with it.

Getting the crossover good will be a lot harder than sticking speakers in a small sealed box. The lowpass would have to be different for every bottom you use with it. Or at least have 2 "middle of the road" lowpasses, 1 for 8ohm bottoms, 1 for 4 ohm bottoms.

5. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    It's going to be used with an 8 ohm 210, so what kind of crossover would I use? What size box should I use? I'm not really looking to biamp, just to add more mid range coverage. Do I need the crossover?

6. One that is designed for the impedance curve and sensitivity of your 210 and the mid driver(s) you select. I wouldnt think an off the shelf one would work, so you need to put on your designers hat and come up with something.

It doesnt need to be big, a sealed box is probably what you are going to want.

What 210 are you using that you feel you need to add mids?

Yes you will need something.

7. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm trying to use a Zoom B3 with my Carvin B210. The head is a flat response 350w and the cab is a 210 with a tweeter. I was figuring that a full-range cab would be better but rather than ditching the 210 I wanted to look into making the setup more full-range by adding a mids cab.

8. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    10's disperse pretty widely up to 2000-2500hz or so and they may not have a whole lot of treble extension left beyond that....some, but not a whole lot. It is possible you could use something like the la6cbmr on a 2500hz HPF and just let the 10's play out on their own....or use eminences 1600hz 2-way crossover. Not the "proper/ideal" way to go but not bad for a bass cab. It would fill in the missing bandwidth and give you better spread of the upper frequencies.

Likewise, you could let that 6 play out on it's own and put a 5khz HPF on your current tweeter to put a little "air" on top. Again, not perfect, but not bad for a bass cab.

These are relatively inexpensive things that would amount to an improvement, while keeping the cost and labor considerably less than the next step.....which would be redesigning the whoke system from scratch and building your own boxes and filters.......or a 12" fearful using the alpha mid.

There are a couple threads on here about modding a 12" Avatar cab by replacing the tweeter with an la6cbmr and off-the-shelf eminence crossover. You would doing something similar to that, and then if you chose to, grafting your tweeter on above that. You would just have your 10's in one box, and your 6, optional tweeter, and filters in another.

Same could be done for most 210's or 115's as the la6cbmr runs around 97db. It's also a closedback mid, which is a non-issue when crossing that high, and takes box design out of the equation. You just need to make some sort of box to mount it all in.

9. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I'm going to look into replacing the tweeter with one of those mid range speakers. I don't get much from the tweeter anyway. Thanks!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    ^^ assuming there you have an 8ohm 210 for the 1600hz full crossover way to work. If it's not 8ohms, the 2500hz HPF only way will still work. The tweeter will work in either case.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Search up "Avatar 112 la6cbmr 6" mid mod" or something like that and do the same thing to your 210. If there isn't enough room to fit the 6" in your cab, you can put it in a little box to sit on top.

If you have an 8ohm 210, you can use the 800hz or 1600hz full crossover. If your 210 is 4 or 16 ohms, I would just use the 2500hz highpass filter.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Ha....reading back, I say things like "get this" or "do this". Not trying to push you over the cliff on this, man....don't buy anything tonight, haha.

Look up those Avatar mod threads, see what you think, ask people who've done it what they think.

Once I caught on to what you are asking here, it seems to me, from the other end of the internet anyway, that it might be what you're looking for.

It's some modding but not labor intensive. It isn't too expensive. The speaker, crossover, and a jack or two, little bit of wire would probably be around $100 or slightly more.

Positives would be improved response in the upper midrange, not the high treble, which I think might be what you're looking for. It will spread a more fullrange reproduction of your sound in a wider arc in front of the cab, and because you're using a single 6", vertical dispersion will improve considerably. This can be a real benefit with a small cab like that as it's quite aways below your ears....especially when playing a small place where you're playing position is backed up fairly close to the cab.

Negatives could be....hearing all the uppermid definition you're not used to hearing in your sound, at least at first. The uppermid being "different". The uppermid being clearer coming from a driver made for doing that, vs., hearing it from the highend of a woofer, in its "breakup mode" sounds considerably different. You might like it or you might not. Either way, you'd be right.

It should at least be easier to hear up close and more "balanced" sounding out in your audience, and keep that clarity in more of the room.

If it turns out you don't like it, you're only out $100 and a little education/experience.....not too bad. somebody here would probably buy the stuff off you for not too much loss.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Hope that came out right. I dropped my phone in my dog's water bowl. Caught it right away and thought I dried it out good but it acted a little funny there for a minute. Might have to leave it in a bag of rice.

14. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    The Faital Pro 5, 4, and 3 inchers are all pretty nice mid drivers if a 6 1/2 incher won't fit.

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    This is another good idea if you want to fit it all in your cab and not carry around an extra topbox. It would require building a subchamber into the can to give the mid it's own little separate cab inside your cab. That too will be small and easy, might have to angle a corner or something but no more difficult than making the topbox you originally planned to.

Advantages would be.....all-in-one cab...one trip in the gig. The Faitals are higher quality drivers than the closedback eminence....smoother sound. And extend higher and disperse wider. You could still have sweet highs if you want, or not (just cut a little treble), and you'd still gain all the benefits of the 6.

I'll defer to Charlie if they'll work "passably well" with an off-the-shelf crossover to keep the mod simple.

Negatives.....I really can't think of any.

Now that he mentioned that, if it were me, I'd probably just see how big of a Faital I could fit where the tweeter goes and go with that. The 5" and 4" are great.

16. Before you do anything put the combo up on a chair. Instant mids!

Are the drivers left right, up down, or diagonal? You want up down, reorient the combo if they are left right, or you should cross over as low as your mid can go if they are diagonal.

You could get hell good value out of a BFM Titan39, comes with a passive sub crossover design, turning your combo into a PA stack. No good if you are playing with PA support.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There is a guy on Bill's forum who runs a Genz 112 combo with a T39 below it with 150hz passive crossover. When you take the lowend pressure off the little cab, you're back to being able to run it to it's thermal limits and it'll go crazy loud...like a high spl guitar combo does.

Although, from what I'm deciphering through decameters of wire, satellite links, and the printed word, I think the guy is looking for uppermid response and clarity, rather than laxative lows, although that could still be a future add-on.

18. I was thinking if he takes onboard the advice to get his tens vertical and high, all his mids will become apparent, and the logical next step would be scratch the diy itch with a subwoofer to replace the chair. Combo amp needs the efficiency of the folded horn but should be plenty of power left to crank the mids like you say.

19. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good point, and something we don't yet know. Actually, if the thing is sitting flat on the floor, hel'll have better vertical dispersion than horizontal, but the cones will be so close to the floor boundary, there will be some cancellation somewhere in the mids....and it's a far reach at a steep angle from speaker to ear.

Re-orienting the combo and/or putting it up a foot or so, will give a much different hearing experience and it's free.

I still think replacing a tweeter with some small paper cone uppermids/ treble is an improvement for most "regular" electric bass guitar duties, although it's been shown time and again that other solutions work just as well if not better, at least for some.

20. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    This is a 210 tilt-back combo. The 10's are at angle with each other with the tweeter in the upper right corner. There's plenty of room on front to replace the tweeter and move it to the other corner. It's an 8 ohm cab. What kind of crossover do I need and how do I wire things?