1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to make a MIM Fender Jazz growl...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by CptPopsicles, Mar 23, 2013.

1. CptPopsicles

CptPopsicles

Mar 22, 2013
    I was thinking about putting some Geddy Lee pickups in there.

I know a MIM jazz is probably not ideal, but it seems to be a cheaper solution than dropping at least a grand on a new bass, and I don't the bass sounds terrible to begin with.

A couple of recommendations would be very helpful. I'm just looking for an upgrade that makes a Standard Jazz bass sound a bit more like the bass tone on "Subdivisions" from the Signals album...

Edit: a little grit wouldn't hurt either :)

2. Cadfael

Cadfael

Jan 4, 2013
    Germany, EU
    Don't know if I'm right ...

But Halfround strings might help more than other PUs ...

3. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    Yeah dude, you have a decent jazz bass. While there are pickups that might be "growlier" what you have should be able to do the job. Try different strings and definitely some tubey overdrive for Subdivisions-type sound.

4. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    I am not familiar with the music reference, but I HIGHLY suggest throwing some stainless steel strings on the bass and favoring the bridge pickup. If that does not get your Jazz bass growling, I don't know what will.

Also, I have no idea what is between the bass and the amp/setup you are using. Try the bass straight into your setup with brand new stainless steel strings - you should have a growly Jazz tone in moments.

5. mystic38

mystic38

Dec 4, 2012
    Mystic CT
    half rounds wont give you growl... if you have nickel rounds, try stainless rounds, but for real growl try some higher output pups like nordstrand..