I want to make a website... because I'm awesome

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I decided that my cd should be an internet cd. I'm too lazy/poor to print artwork at some kinkos, burn 100 cds, distribute them locally, blah blah. Plus I owe some people on here copies of the CD, and I'd have to ship them. Even as far as jolly old England (Gia). So my apologizes to the people who felt special in getting their own free copy... but now anyone who wants it, can. Plus I could put the bonestorm video up by myself when I get it, AND I could put some photos/art up for self promotion, etc.

So any suggestions,

My requirements/stuff that would be nice

- A fairly decent amount of webspace (enough for a CDs worth of MP3s+, One Mpeg video that is 4-5 minutes long, and a few jpegs, not to mention the website itself)
    - Cheapish
    - I'd like to be www.(something).com, but if something else is cheaper, cool beans.
    - Is there any sites that you just pay once, then you never have to pay again? Or even yearly? I've never had a real website before. :hyper:
  2. Make sure that monkeys are involved.

Cause monkeys are always cool.

Rock on
  3. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    You're not likely to find any hosts that will let you pay once. And I would avoid any that claim to. Many hosts will let you pay yearly, and usually for a lower rate than you would pay monthly. Look to spend around $10/month for a decent host. I've had good luck with phpwebhosting.com and others in the past. Your domain name (www.matttill.com or whatever) will run you between $9 and $35 a year, depending on who you get it through. GoDaddy.com is the cheapest registrar that most web guys are willing to use, myself included.

Overall, I'd budget:
    $10/month for hosting x 12 months + $10/year for domain = $130 a year.

You can probably shave a bit off that, but that should give you an idea.
  4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Wait, I have to pay them just so I can keep the name? I mean, 10 a year isn't a high price... but the hosting is file storage, right? And you get the domain seperately? Weird.

Eric: Monkeys... yes... monkeys indeed. Muhuh uh uh ha ha haaaaaaaaa.
  5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    just so you know, matttill.com probably isn't a very good domain name too many consecutive Ts
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
  7. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Matt pay for the domain name, and you can probably find a free host where you can park your domain.

As long as you're not looking for 100% uptime, more than 100MB of storage, and more than 500-1000MB of bandwidth a month there some you can find. If don't mind advertising on your site, you can probably find even more.

Do a google for "free web host" and you should find a ton. The problem is understanding the features and limitations.
    If you have an Qs, feel free to PM me

for example, www.dcbassplayer.com is on a free host. I just paid for the name
  8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    No no no. You don't make a website because you're "awesome", you make it because YOU SUCK. :bag: (just kidding, couldn't resist).

I think its a great idea, run with it!
  9. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Yeah, file storage and domain names are entirely seperate.

Consider yourself lucky: a few years ago, the domain name was MINIMUM $50 a year, and hosting started at $25/month.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Now I'm really confused. The host is where I'd put my files, correct? Where can I get free 100MB Storage?
  11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    heh... I just saw the link to 100WebSpace at the site. hehe.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    So the process would be, make a page, upload it to the free area, and link it to the domain name?
  13. The Red Menace

The Red Menace

Nov 25, 2004
    I've been pretty happy with zebox.com . It's like 18.oo a year or something but you get a lot of freedom and options and you don't have to know much about web design. The only drawback is it has a pop-up when someone clicks on a song but they are pretty non-invasive pop-ups. The important thing is that you go to my site right now and download all my tunes.

14. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Domain names are handled by registrar
    Web space is dealt with by the web host.
    Sometimes the registrar and the host are the same.

Usually the webhost will have a control panel, or some sort of interface that will let you enter your domain name. You web host will also tell you somewhere, what DNS entries you should use at your domain registrar. Once you set things up at the host, go to your domain registrar and enter the appropriate DNS entries so that all requests for whatever.com will go to your webhost.

Confused yet?
  15. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's better thatn makkkill.com

brad cook
  16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Surprisingly... no, that cleared stuff up. Thanks. :hyper:
  17. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    this is the worst plan ever :(
    i don't get a real cd, AND i don't get to lord it over people with no CD?!

btw www.stupidmatt.com is available.
  18. Matt, be sure you don't try to register

because that is already taken too

(remember the Wil Ferrel skit? Hilarious)
  19. okay, monkeys are cool.

But NINJA's are awesome!!!

How many monkey's have REAL ULTIMATE POWER?!
  20. You are awesome, oh yes, you are indeed awesome. :bassist: