1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to put a J-pick in my P..(DC,VA,MD)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by seungkoo, Apr 17, 2010.

1. seungkoo

seungkoo Banned

Nov 20, 2003
    MD
    I want it done right so that means I dont want to do it at home. I just bought a 57' AV p bass and decided this is THE bass for me but I would like to add a J pickup in the bridge position to complete it.

I know this may not be good for resale but I plan on keepin this baby for a long time and recently got rid of my Jazz bass to fund this.

Can anyone recommend me a place to take my bass or ship the body over to have the pickup space routed and a 3 way selector switch put in?

I live in Maryland if you know anyone local.
    If I have to ship it to get it done thats fine too.

2. jwn1969

jwn1969

Nov 13, 2008
    Brigantine, NJ
    I've heard good things about www.philtone.com. Never used him personally though...

3. berman3313

berman3313 Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic
    Greg over at Metro; http://www.metroguitar.com/
    Small little shop - big on craftsmanship. Honest, reasonably priced and no BS.
    Tell him Todd sent ya.
    TB

4. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    Jason and Erik are both close to you.

5. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

That's THE guy right there. He is currently refretting my '79 MM Sabre (if that tells you anything about how much I trust him). Only negative is that Phil is in great demand and you will wait because of this. But if you are patient, he will do the best job that's possible. He used to work for PRS before going out on his own if that tells you anything...

6. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    PM sent.