I want to repaint my bass, but don't have a lot of money!!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by IndieBoy_503, Jul 8, 2002.

1. ok well not really. that was to get your attention, the thing is i bought a bass off the ebay, and it said midnight blue and the pic was blue so i'm like, cool, its blue, its a fender JP (sweetest mofo on the planet) and its 20 cheaper than retail. but when i got it, it was purple. now i didn't realize it at first, and its been almost a year now. i want a different color!!! i mean i like purple and its great and all but i think it would look cooler a nice deep blue or somthing. And i want to get it painted (over the purple) and for it to be just as high quality and shiny as the current color. how do i go about doing this? myslef, is there a nice place that does it cheap? or am i stuck?
  2. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    look at the holoflash basses by Spector. Those are some nice color changing basses...
  3. Listen

May 19, 2002
    Did you READ the post?
  4. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    uh... yes.

Ok... I had some questions about refinishing my bass a while back. I was told to put it into the setup forum. I suggest you do the same. The people there will be able to give you the best advice.

they helped me out quite well.
  5. they told me the same thing when i asked what do do about fixing the top the holds the strap. so what the hell is miscellaneous for anyways!?
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Miscellaneous is for bass and music related subjects that don't fit into any of the other categories.

Repair, refinishing, defretting, upgrades(except for pickups) and modifications go in Setup, which is where this is going.
  7. Yeah, I have that same finish on my MIM P-Bass standard, and it's kinda pissing me off too...
  8. A professional refinish of the quality you want is going to run in the $200+ range. No it's not cheap but what you get for that is a high quality you want without the hassle of doing it yourself.

So, no bucks but still want that look? You can try a DIY finish. Go to www.reranch.com and take a look at the myriad of finishes and colors that are available. They also have one of the best sites for learning the process and if it's for you. These are all lacquer finishes - not the poly your Fender came with. Nonetheless, they are attractive, sturdy and probably best of all, cheap!

Next to that, you could try to get your local auto painter to give it a go. If your bass isn't dinged up, you have a nice base for an automotive finish. The short story is to wetsand your body to a dull finish and let the painter have at it. Of course, you'll have to wait for a customer to order a color that would be suitable since mixing a custom won't be cheap but if you're patient, these guys will often do a body for as little as $50.

Do a search of the archives below for other ideas and discussions of this very topic.
  9. Don't double post in the forums or across forums. I've merged the two threads you created into one that covers all of the responses. :mad:
  10. ..and I removed the post that asks the question twice in here... kinda annoying reading then halfway down it starts all over again.

In future, post the question once. If you get no replies, email the moderator of that forum and he/she may be able to give advice as to what forum it should be shifted.

11. supergreg

Jan 20, 2002
    Two words, spray paint. :D
  12. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    ok . . . and back on topic in whatever forum the moderator gods need to put this to preserve the order of the universe . . .

so you want to refinish over some crap color nitrocellulose lacquer --
    I'd go down to the wood and then shellac - just my two cents
  13. tommy iommi did the spray paint deal on his old strat. did a nice coat of white. as guitar world put it "rendering the it worthless in the process." later it broke down, and he used his back-up guitar, the SG. and never went back to fender. good choice, for guitar anyway. my loyalties are gibson-electric guitar, fender/MM-bass, and martin-acoustic guitar. no current acoustic bass, yet...
  14. Thats ok.. if it happens again expect to be waxed.. :p

15. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I have a Midnight Blue bass, if you think that is purple, you should see my other bass (a metalic purple p-bass.)
  16. not midnight blue thats blueish. i got the midnight vine. its cool though i guess. not worth the extra cash or trouble. anybody wanna buy me a new JP. perhaps an american JP fender cuz i'm feeling very patriotic. :D
  17. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    How about calling the Fender Custom Shop? Betcha they'd do it for ya (probably for $$$$$$$$, though)