1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to run my bass guitar through a PA

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by island_bassist, Jan 1, 2008.

1. island_bassist

island_bassist

Jan 1, 2008
  2. Get a lighter bass amp?

I don't know man, I'm a traditionalist. But if you want to run your bass through those speakers you should be fine. Just be aware that your sound might be a little sterile.

3. island_bassist

island_bassist

Jan 1, 2008
    Thanks

I guess I have to try it out

4. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Other than the brand indication (Peavey) telling you it won't sound good, you should be ok. Realize that most cheaper and some more expensive bass cabinets have some distinct bumps in frequency response to accentuate the bass frequencies. These speakers will not have the same bumps, and they don't go quite as low as some bass cabinets, so your sound may lose some of the low frequency information you are used to hearing from a bass cabinet. I like playing through good house systems personally, but I won't even think about it if they don't at least have subwoofers and a higher performance system installed.

5. island_bassist

island_bassist

Jan 1, 2008
    the peavey's got blackwidows in them and I'm using a Mackie power mixer.

6. SKATE RAT

SKATE RAT

Aug 22, 2007
    BROOKLYN
    Mike Watt used a PA when he was in the Minutemen.

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin'

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I've been using an Ampeg B100R combo on a stand on stage, and running a cable from its line out into a channel of the PA mixer. We use Wharfdale speakers and Peavey subs, and it works fine in the dance halls we play in.

Around here, none of the clubs have PAs, but it still avoids my having to haul a big amp around (my practice amp is a MusicMan HD130 head and a Hartke 410XL cab, so it weighs about 1-1/2 times what the gigging amp does).

8. I like the Peavey PA speakers with the Black Widows in them.

But I still think a bass amp with a proper bass cab is the best way to go.

9. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Sure, but how do you intend to hear yourself, and the rest of the band for that matter? The purpose of an amp is to provide stage volume for you and the band, the PA is to drive the audience. You should be doing both, you should not be doing only one or the other.

10. are you going to run the vocals through that pa as well? That will probaly sound crappy i would imagine. and if not, what is the point of carrying around a pa instead of an amp?

11. I would imagine the band has stage monitors..

But they'll need to be pretty hefty to put bass through.

12. cujorocker

cujorocker

Dec 28, 2007
    we ALWAYS run EVERY instrument through the P.A. ....but now that I said that....I always take my GK amp Carvin 15 sub AND 4x10Trace...Because If I cant feel what I am playing .....well how can the audience FEEEL.....what I am playing...
    and being old school says....take EVERYTHING......extra amps...cables.....speakers....
    THAN when ya cant fit it in the room.....well.....leave it in the van.....until next weekend!
    I guess I should say we have JBLjrx15's and yamaha 18 subs for front and 4 / 15 horn EV wedges for monitors......

13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    With few exceptions you should not put bass through the floor monitors. Aside from muddying up the mix and making it harder to hear what you need the monitors for, adding more low frequency sources leads to phase interactions that usually do more harm than good.

14. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    That statement did not change the truth one bit. Sorry. By higher performance, I meant a system that costs at least as much as a home. Performance does not come cheap.

15. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Black Widows are fine speakers. Your illogical hatred of Peavey is your opinion and that's fine. But a good product is a good product no matter who makes it.

16. Alaska Bass

Alaska Bass

Dec 31, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    Black Widows may or may not be fine drivers depending on who you talk to, but to equate that speaker with the word fine, is a stretch, especially when considering it as a bass cabinet replacement.

17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Don't impose your tastes on me. I know what's fine and what's not fine.

18. Absolutely, that's why I suggested to him an amp instead.

19. I suppose you could. I should think that that would be in support of what you had on stage, though.

If you do, recognize that you are going to have to work to get a great bass sound to those speakers, IMHO.

If you use the SansAmp product, or like it, you could dial up a decent sound and hope that the Peavey's could keep up.

Why not sell your rig and go with something a little lighter and use it for your onstage monitoring?

20. island_bassist

island_bassist

Jan 1, 2008
    I position the speakers behind the band on the far backsides. I control the volume as feedback can occur from high volume and wrong eq settings and or too much reverb.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 7, 2021