1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to save up & build this rig:

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by The 0x, May 12, 2006.

1. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    [​IMG]

And yes, it's huge. But I need something big. Something loud. Something that'll be able to handle any room without PA support. And something that looks freakin' cool. :smug:

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Just curious, why the guitar cabs?

3. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Will you be playing stadiums?

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I like the idea with the guitarcabs. Just for the highs like Entwistle used to do, right? BTW why not get a lighter weight (QSC PLX) poweramp to drive the NEO twelves? Tighter and louder lows and still the overdriven Sunn sound through the guitar cabs.

5. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    That is Sweet! I like the idea of sending the highs to the guitar cabs. I betcha it'd sound amazing!:hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :bassist:

6. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Ever try overdriving tweeters? It doesn't sound too nice. :rollno:

And no, this isn't a stadium rig. Not even close. THIS is a stadium rig:

[​IMG]

:smug:

And yes, i've considered going with something like an Ashdown MAG for the lows, but we'll see how the 200s heads work for lows. So far so good (except the current one I have keeps blowing fuses; once I get a job and get my first paycheck, it's goin into the tech).

Oh, and this is my current rig:

[​IMG]

7. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Cool stuff,

I actually think the same thing, there needs to be some speakers that are better voiced for upper register in the mix. Whatever your influences are, I like Stanley Clarke's top end tone, and there is definitely guitar voiced speakers.

I heard he used to use split signal into Makie Power amp clean and into Fender tube guitar combo for the top end.

If I may make a suggestion, instead of Vin30's might want to consider G12H, there is a version of that speaker with 55Hz Fs
    it will still handle the power and low notes but will do well on top too.

My sitehttp://www.yellowcabamplification.com

8. I liked the sound i was getting when i was sending the upper frequencies to my peavey classic, problem is to use that all the time i would need to take my firebass aswell as my SVT, but, ill just stick to the SVT and 810, does me well enough and i dont need too many highs really, was jus a nice addition :)

9. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    When I saw Stanley Clarke a few years ago here in Columbus, he was using ONLY a little SWR Basic Black combo with a 15" and a horn, then through the PA. This was in a large theater. His tone out front was awesome.

Apparently he learned over the years that he can't enjoy music if he goes deaf from trying to fill the entire room with speakers that are behind him damaging his ears.

Just food for thought . . .

10. Yellow

Yellow

Apr 20, 2006
    Sooke, BC, Canada
    Oh yes, I know, I saw him in Victoria, he had a 210 combo on stage as a monitor, front of the house was great. What I am after is not so much copying his tone but discovering cool combinations that liberate the bass to do stuff that is a bit unusual and give people options to find their own tone high and low. :smug:

My Site:http://www.yellowcabamplification.com

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    I used to do sound for tours when not gigging and most of the stadium rig's are all for show. Fake heads, empty cabs and so on. Usually one setup was real and bass also into a DI, the PA is doing the bulk of the work.

If I was going to do what you are talking about sound wise. I would ditch those bottom cab's for some 2x15". Then some 10" or 12" cabs for midrange and punch. If you really want to project in a stadium then you'll folded horn or PA cabs.

I think you will find its easy to over power a room. It may look cool, but you will be spending a lot of gear that will hardly be breaking a sweat and probably not getting the sound you want. You just want to look cool check for bands coming off tours, they usually have fake gear they are willing to sell. I know GC in Hollywood has the stuff for sale from time to time.

I'd spend the money on a killer bass instead.

12. The stuff you have is plenty. More than plenty. You might want to think about saving up for a girlfirend. That's what I'm doing.

13. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Cool rig Ox, does that flag flapp in the breeze when you play loud? :smug:

14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey, that is exactly like my rig!

Oh.... wait.... no, that was just a dream I had :(

And I agree with steveb98. Notice they miced a few cabs. I bet the rest are empty. Sure looks cool though.

15. AHbassist

AHbassist

Sep 22, 2005
    Kennesaw, GA
    wow, I'm gonna tell u what I told my buddy (that plays guitar) when he said he wanted 15 marshall fullstacks. "don't know y in the world u'd need all that, but good luck ne way."

16. WHY???

17. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
    Why not?

18. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    2(tuba+DR) > 4(avatar2x12)

19. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Nope, all of those cabs were used at once. The mics are only to reinforce it through the PA.

How would you know what is plenty for me? :eyebrow:

I already have a killer enough bass for me. Anything too expensive, i'd be afraid to play live, as I'm not very gentle when I play. Besides, not many gigs around here will have the kind of PA support we'd need.

Yes, it does.

20. That isnt even nice :spit: ;)

Tempting me with those Sunn heads :mad:

;)