1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR THE HELP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Apr 15, 2010.

1. On my quest for the right speakers for my SWR 750, it came down to, I bought a nice used SWR 800 watt 410 and traded the 18 cab to a guy for a Bag End 15 which I dont need but use sometimes. The 410 works out well. I cant remember what cab the SWR is its at the practice room in town. But it rocks so THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Glad to hear this, Gary! :cool:

3. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The 410 is likely all you'll need to play most places around here. Hang on to the Bagend. They're in demand for good reason, you may find you like playing that one solo sometimes depending on the situation. Anyway, use it but don't abuse it. Should you need to flip gear for whatever reason someday, that one will likely fund most of it. Or as your tastes change maybe vice versa.

4. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    Good On you Mate!!! I Know you will not regret the Goliath 410!!! I have to and would Not trade them for anything!!! Enjoy.... Now go enjoy your New Love!! :p Cheers Mate!!!
    P.s. By The Way The Cab you have is the SWR Goliath IV..Awesome cab!!

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    ya, i like the goliath, too. i have to turn the tweeter off, though ;)

6. canadian*eh

canadian*eh

Jan 4, 2006
    Edmonton,Alberta,Canada
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    No LEave It Wide Open:D... Jokes... Sorry jimmy i like a lil tinny bit of tweeter... not much just a lil;)

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I don't know which version of Goliath you have but ones I've seen have their tweeter passed up around 4-5k. Means there's a dip in the sound between tweeter and woofer but at least the tweet's sound decent. They're not as harsh as some other bass cabs that have the tweets trying to play lower than what they're really good at. They still sound like the slope shoud be an order steeper than it is but not as bad as some. Meaning they sound alright with the tweeter on some, not wide open but doesn't have to be off. If you don't want your tweeter to play at all, pull the jack plate out and take the bulb fuse out of it instead of turning the dial all the way down.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    there is? i'll have to listen for that next time i get one on a fly gig. never really thought it lacked high end without a tweeter. could be i just don't need a whole lot of it.

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    It doesn't lack treble without the tweeter to the ear, on paper it will, just that the tweeters (at least on some of them) were passed higher up so they sound better. Not that the tweeters are great, just better than some other bass cabs.

They sound more like this cheapass monitor I got at the rehearal room. Single capacitor, 1st order passed up around 5-6k instead of 2nd order at 3k or 3rd order at 2k.

That may sound like an insult but it's not. They're better than a lot of other bass cabs. Played with an SWR amp, they have a sound that's signature and good and although I'm guilty of bashing them in the past before I learned about some of this stuff an SM400S is my main gigging amp now and I really like it.

10. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    My now sold Goliath II was a great sounding cab. The tweeter could part your hair--in a good way for slap. The basic tone quality of the cab was dark, very very very punchy, and loud. Great for anything. I agree it did not lack treble.

The newer Goliath lll and lV handle a lot more power and are very different from the Goliath ll--much louder I think, and with a less aggressive quality in the horn, and a huge ability to do loud low mids and lows.

I don't really miss my goliath ll, though. Really. No really, I don't. I really mean it. Really. :ninja: