I want to scale down my rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RyansDad, Feb 7, 2006.

1. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    I am currently using a cab with a separate amp. I like the sound but the gear is too %$#$@ heavy. I've got 400 watts to play with, but my sound goes straight to the board via DI, so it's more power than I ever use. I want to downgrade to a combo amp that is smaller and lighter. I don't really need enough sound to project the audience. I only need it to be powerful enough so that I can hear it at shows and so that the rest of the band can hear it at practice.

2. SteveC

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Same situation here. All PA gigs and a loud amp. I'm looking at a Fender Bassman 150. Nice specs and a good looking little amp.
  3. FunkyLemz

Oct 17, 2005
    Los Angeles, CA
    EA Iamp Combo (the 800 would be killer)
    Aguilar Combo with the 500 head in it
    Some crappy ampeg with a 15' in it (I do prefer the checkerboard looking ones)
    Maybe a GK combo

Hope this helps:D
  4. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I would Love to be able to go through the PA.
    With all the junk we haul, you would think there wouldn't be a problem going through the PA, but the PA is kept exclusively for the voices.

If you are running through the PA, look at the combos that tilt back. That should be all you need.
    [Man, I'm jealous.]
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Ampeg B100R is the staple for these situations. You can't go wrong.

6. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Thanks. I was thinking the same thing, so that I could just lay it in front with the rest of the monitors.

BTW, why do you restrict your PA to voices? We run everything through the board. That way, everything is evened out for the audience and our monitors can be tailored for what each of us needs.
  7. RyansDad

Jan 31, 2006
    Tolland, CT
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check that one out.
  8. loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA

What he said.

I no longer haul my Yorkville head, matching 15" & Avatar 2x10 around anymore. I just leave all of that set up in the rehearsal space & take the B100. Sounds great, looks cool & is MUCH easier to move around. I do cringe everytime I bang that beautiful diamond blue tolex into the door/curb/stairs/monitor/etc...

And when they come out with the B200 I may just scrap my big rig...
  9. tthor

May 11, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I show up to gigs with a 5 space rack bag which includes a POD preamp, Korg tuner, my In Ear monitor unit and of course my basses. Once my "in ears" are set, I can enjoy the sound of my bass and whatever else I need to hear. The sound guys love it since there's virtually no competing bass rig on stage. I understand the comfort zone of having a rig with cab on stage, as I did it for 20 years but now that I'm older, I like the easy load in.
  10. SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    Because the guy who runs the sound owns all the equipment and retains total control of what gets used for what. :)

If I had it my way, especially with the fact that we're already breaking our backs with an Entire Truck of stuff, I'd put the PA to better use and run it all through there.

And, amazingly, we're a very vocal light band. We're only a 3 piece, and the vocals consist of one person singing most and one other occasionally singing a background vocal. We have enough in the equipment to power Madison Square Garden, and then we use about 1% of it for our very unelaborate vocals. :)

Believe me, I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. :)
  11. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
  12. joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    I also wanted a small, but nice sounding little amp to haul to small gigs and practice. I took a Behringer BX 1200 tilt back combo, and took out all the Behringer, so I am only using the box. I put in an Eminence Delta 12LF, and just ordered an Eden WT-330 head , that will slide right into the same area where the original was. And it will slide right out, for other use. 220 at8, 330 at 4, and 420 at 2. Should make a nice sounding and versitile little combo, and I can just add another cab to it for more vol., or take the head along or whatever.
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    how much do you want to spend?

seeing that you're in CT, are you near New Haven? check out www.gguitars.com great selection of amp gear. chris is the best. :cool:
  14. The ultimate for me would be a Berg IP112, 46 lbs. The EA Wizzy Combo with 200 watts and 44 lbs would make an excellent stage monitor. I met a fellow recently who never does a gig with an amp. He brings his bass, cables, in ears and a DI. He walked in 15 minutes before the first set and left 5 minutes after the last one. Superb bassist too.
  15. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    A bit different approach, but my goal is sorta the same.

I just made the switch to a Acoustic Image Focus 1 (800 watts- under 5 pounds) and a pair of Epifani UL112 cabs (they can take 300 watts and weigh maybe 30lbs.)

I want to be able to load in and out in one trip:
    Bass in gig bag, amp in small shoulder bag, one cab in each hand (if you even need both, lots of times just one).

Mind you, this isn't a cheap rig though.
  16. main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Funkylemons...why do you say Ampegs are crappy? They have been very good to me. Give us some substance to your claim.
  17. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    After chewing on this one for a while, I'm beginning to like the idea of bass / SansAmp DI / GK MB150E112 as the outfit. That is an easy one trip carry, provides a decent DI, and offers a reasonable monitor. I'd prefer to use an ART MP-1 tube pre for the tube, but the DI on that has some ground loop issues. I know there are much better rigs out there, especially something like the IP112, but I just don't think you even need that for a lot of clubs.

Of course, all this depends on the club. In some cases, you still need the SVT, In others, they don't even want you to bring a monitor amp. So, its all over the place. But, this is the trend I'm seeing in the clubs.
  18. bucephylus

Aug 18, 2002
    Another thing I'm wondering is if this trend will push the drummers towards electronic kits. I know most of those sound like garbage with factory presets, but I recently worked with a drummer who had spent a lot of time on the patches. It's just like the POD etc. experiences folks talk about on here, in that the extra effort can produce some excellent results. The sound guys at several of the clubs around here are adamant that they want the stage levels really low. That doesn't mean the mix is low volume; far from it. The mix is roaring by the end of the night. It's just that the low stage levels allow the mix to be clear and avoid bleed.

I think this is ultimately where all the gear technology is headed.

BTW, the clubs are often producing live CD's, which is just a simple thing with this setup, and I've been amazed by the sound quality they get.
  19. jgrotto

Nov 29, 2005
    Wanna buy my Ampeg BA500? Purdy please? I got something waaaay heavier because my back wasn't already screwed up enough.
  20. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Actually, the drummer I work with uses electronics exclusivly, cymbals and all. And it sounds stunning.

You should see the looks he gets from sound guys and such when he breaks out his kit sorta like this-->:rollno:
    And then he plays and it turns to this-->:eek: then this-->:D

He can make them sound as good if not better than acoustic drums in club/concert settings. We have yet to have a FOH mixer do anything but rave how easy and how good they sound. The amount of work he puts into his samples and such really pays off.

And it helps me carry a smaller rig too!!!