1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to see and hear good experiences from DP CUSTOMS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RockBoxBass, Feb 21, 2008.

1. RockBoxBass

RockBoxBass Supporting Member

Im in line for a bass build. Ive seen and read all the bad stuff. But, what I want to see and hear are the great stories. I havent seen too many negative things as of late so Im hoping Daves shortcomings have been rectified with experience. Lets see some pictures!!

2. perkidan

perkidan

Sep 13, 2000
    Augusta, ky
    The bass that I waited over a year and a half for LOOKED pretty....sounded decent.....but weighed SEVENTEEN POUNDS! It was a violin shape with a bocote top and bartolini dual humbuckers. I kept it about 3 months, destroyed my shoulder and sold it on Ebay...took a hell of a loss on it. Hope you have a better experience than I did!

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have read very many mediocre and downright bad reviews of DP Customs on here. I personally have not had any experience with them, but based on opinions here, I probably won't buy from them.

4. I've seen a few gorgeous DP's on here. Some have had great reviews. More have had bad reviews.

If I was a gamblin' man, I would have tried one out. I'm not that ballsy though...

5. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Alembicplayer sure likes his. PM him for the details.

6. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    i think one of the reasons he hasnt been mentioned much recently, is that he haulted orders for awhile.

7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    This is kind of like burying your head in the sand, no? Rather than asking people's opinions, you're asking only for positive opinions. What will you learn from that? Sort of like, "I'm thinking about doing some meth. Sure, I've heard the negative stories, but I want to hear stories about meth changing people's lives for the better."

Perhaps a slight exaggeration ;) but I think that if you have to really search around for a positive opinion on something, it's probably best to stay away. I know the allure of a cheap custom is tempting, though.

I thought at one point about getting a DP, and I ended up not, but not because I decided not to; he decided not to. There's a bit of turnabout, right? He was not willing to build the instrument I wanted because it would be too complicated. But here's what I think about the whole DP thing: people expect too much of him. I think it's a little silly that people will get something that's so cheap and expect it to be up to par with more expensive custom basses. He discounts his work because he is learning. Plenty of people here have Wishbasses, and they like them because they expect a piece of junk from the start. DPs are only a little bit more expensive than Wishbasses, so accordingly, I think if you expect something that is a bit nicer than a Wishbass, you'd probably be happy with what you got.

I wonder if I can convince DP to do a Fender Bass VI copy...

8. ^^^^ Very well said.

9. LongHairFreak

LongHairFreak Insert cool nickname? Nobody's given me one yet. Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Twin Cities - MN
    OK. Here goes! With an HH config by Aero Instrument, an OBP3, BA-V bridge, Hipshot machines and a solid neck-through build, it jammed quite good!!

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/LHF_Pics/P5070050FrontView.jpg
    http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/LHF_Pics/FrontCloseup-NoStrings.jpg
    http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r275/LHF_Pics/Fretboard-NoStrings.jpg

The only negativity I'll spill is that I immediately disliked the body shape as soon as I opened the package and it was a bit on the heavy side. Both of these were of my own doing though. I didn't get a proper (good enough) physical description before purchase and I chose the woods (Bubinga, Cocobolo & Sapelle).

BTW, I no longer have it.

10. I'm not liking that at all.... But I *LOVE* the fretboard!!!!

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Like I said before; it's not that the stray bad instrument got out, it's that a stray good one did.

12. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    My ears were ringing:p
    I am happy with the work that Dave did on fretless 6er.
    (excuse these old pics, I need to take some new ones.)

Swamp ash body, maple/walnut 7piece neck
    [​IMG]

Cocobolo top, Lined- Macasser ebony FB, matched cocobolo headstock top, blue LED's, Bart pups and Bart elec (active/passive,3 band, 3-way splitter for each pup (front coils,all,rear coils), 3 way mid switch and phase reversal switch) Schaller hardware.
    [​IMG]

IME, Dave wasn't much on taking pics during the build, but when he joined the body/neck together, he send me a few pics, at one point he had told me that the cocobolo top that was on it looked like it had "grown weird" (It had alot of dark lines on the bridge end and had offered to re-top it with another piece, I declined, I think it makes it look more unique. I have said this before many times, but I will say it again, I disagree with Dave's stance on "epoxied" fingerboards, he declined to do it. I will end up doing this on a progress thread on that, when I'm ready.
    If you want to hear it, click here , and go to the song in the player called, "Streets of DC", and "InstraMental". (Did not put solo parts on either of those yet though)

I'm feeling like I should attest on his site, at least with a good expeirence, right?

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    +1

it's a fine piece of wood!

14. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Ellicott City, MD
    Endorsing: Spector Bass Guitars
    Not necessarily.. if the bulk of the reviews are bad, it doesn't necessarily mean the work is bad, just the ones with bad basses are most vocal about it.

Besides, if most of the reviews are bad, not getting any response for good basses would be more telling.

15. Pushic has a relatively low output along with a rather high number of dissatisfied customers. But it's not just about the numbers. You should read some of the bad reviews, they're quite telling. All the beautiful woods won't make up for an instrument that has workmanship problems you don't find on a lesser priced production instrument.

16. Great post, especially the meth analogy! :D He did you a favour by declining to build you your dream bass. I've seen reviews where, judging by the final product, it was apparent that he was in over his head.

17. Dave built me this bass in 2005...I can't speak for others, but he built me a fantastic bass. It is by far one of the best sounding and playing basses I have ever owned.....
    DPCustomRamp003.
    DPCUSTOM018.
    DPCUSTOM014.
    DPCUSTOM020.
    DPCustomRamp001.
    DPCUSTOM013.

18. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I've seen that one before, it looks pretty nice!

19. That is nice looking! Glad it worked out.

20. I wrote a pretty extensive review thread on it a while back (i.e. 2 years ago) - but all in all my bass is a very nice instrument. It is a bit on the heavy side...but the tone reflects that and sounds very solid with great fundamentals and overtones. It's really a phenomenal instrument, and I am very satisfied with it. The points I raise in my review thread are all worth looking at - but my story is certainly (to date) a positive one.

Here's some pictures:

DPRestringing013.

DPRestringing014.

DPRestringing015.

DPRestringing009.

DPRestringing007.

DavePushicFretless021.

DavePushicFretless019.

DavePushicFretless017.

DavePushicFretless016.