Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to sing backs.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by lildrgn, Apr 10, 2002.

1. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    What is a good sub $100 microphone? I have no singing background, I have a horrible time picking out harmonies, but I have a loud voice and figure buying a mic will force me to step it up a bit.

Any advice???

Thanks!

Gwon

2. I would tell you to go with the Shure SM-58,
    if your low on funds. I found some great cheaper shure mics. In Musicians Friend, I saw you can get two for 50 bucks.:D

3. this will probably get me flamed by the equipment police but while the sm57/58 by shure is pretty much the benchmark mic, I was in the same situation as the original poster: I sound bad, don't do the harmony thing well etc. I just wanted a mic to project my drone during choruses. Picked up 2 behringer's from musician's friend.

Pleasantly surprised, good sensitive mic, good response. Worked well for myself and the rythym guitarist during our last gig.

4. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I also recommend a Shure SM57/58. IMO they are worth the extra bucks over cheaper mics. These things are built to last and are pretty much the industry standard when it comes to live vocal mics (although that seems to have changed a bit recently).

FWIW my guitar player had a cheaper AKG and it doesn't work any more.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get the SM-58, and nothing less. You'll forget the hundred bucks it cost in a week, you'll have the industry standard mic, and you won't have to buy another mic for a long, long time. You can even use it when you go pro. You won't know how good you CAN sound if you buy a cheap (scuzzy) mic.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    lildrgn - I was in your shoes about 2 years ago. I got a Shure SM-58 and have never looked back, I was actually surpirsed at how good it made me sound, then again I may have been a little better than I thought.

I've had and used it every practice for about 2 years, never had any problems, and if you look after it well it should just about last forever!

7. There are better mics out there, for more money, but the SM58 has been the benchmark to which other mics are measured, and has been for quite some time. I bought one in the late eighties and, although it's pretty dinged up, it still works great. You can't go wrong with the SM58.

8. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I bought the SM57 a while back strictly for micing guitar cabs, but now I sing through it. Though it performs best as an instrument mic, it still does an adequate job as a vocal mic IMO. They are tough as nails too, really built to last.

If I were currently buying a vocal mic, I would go for the SM58 or Beta 58.

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    SM57 $79
    SM58 $99

10. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Hey everyone!

Thanks for the thoughtful replies. So do you think I should get a Shure SM58 :p? Ha ha. Well, I went to the local used shop yesterday and they sold a SM58 copy. I forget who makes it, SHS or SAS or something like that. It was $80 bucks and right there (plus a 15' cable!) so I got it and tried it out last night.

I'd like to say it made me sound like Mariah Carey (not really), but it didn't. It sounded like me: nasal and off key ;).

Practice makes perfect! Look out for the latest band with 3-part harmonies at a club near you!

Gwon