Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to strip my Godin Freeway 4

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gottliver, Dec 29, 2004.

1. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    Hi Guys,
    I've been lurking for the past week and am really impressed with the quality of this forum.

So here is my first post!

I have a Godin Freeway 4 that I love. I've been looking to replace it but can't find anything off the rack that I like better. I wanted to replace it simply because its fugly!! It plays great, sounds great and the fit and finish is awesome. Mine is metallic black. Although I dig the body shape, the high gloss hardware and black finish give the bass a cheap look in my opinion.

I want to strip finish and give it a clear satin nitro finish. What route would you guys recommend, a chemical stripper (if so what brand?), or sanding?

Thanks
    Mark

2. I used a chemical stripper on my Godin. Works much faster than trying to sand.

I ended up putting back a solid color on the Godin (though different color). The body was made of two different woods (maple in the middle and ?poplar? for the wings) and I did not think it looked good enough for a translucent color or clear finish.

Though I recently saw a new Freeway 4 in the store that was stained by the factory with the woods showing that looks decent even with the different woods.

You are right it does sound and play great. Would I have done it all again? After all my modifications I like the bass better now just because it has had my time and effort put into it.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I think its all maple just the middle is rock maple i tihnk and the wings are silver leaf maple, or something.

4. You may be right, but it had kind of like a greenish tint to it and was very soft.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yucky. My Godin has a trans blue finish and the wood underneath is very purty. Some flamed maple and a nice grain.

6. gottliver

gottliver

Dec 20, 2004
    Thanks for the info guys. I think that the worst case scenario would be that the grain is ugly and I'll have to stain the wood. Best case would be nicely figured maple that will get a nice clear coat. It'll probabely be in the middle, I quess I'll have to try and see what happens!