1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I want to switch my P Bass to all black hardware

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by resslerd, Jun 14, 2016.

1. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    I have a white 2012 MIM P Bass and I want to swap all the hardware out for black. I've looked up a few of the more important bits and I want to make sure I have everything compatible and accounted for. If anyone has any recommendations or comments on anything, it would be greatly appreciated.

Tuners: Figured I'd upgrade a bit as long as I'm swapping out hardware. Also wanted a detuner for convenience (half my band's songs are in drop D)
    Hipshot HB7 x3
    Hipshot BT7 Extender

Bridge:
    Hipshot KickAss Bridge

I'm sort of at a loss for finding compatible knobs, input jack, strap button, and string tree, but I imagine the brands don't really matter as much for these parts.

zontar likes this.
  2. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    you've narrowed down the hard parts, the keys and bridge. (though i think it would be worth it to get some lightweight keys, like these hipshots. your bass will really hang nicer on the strap.)

you can get knobs, screws and such from allparts easily enough.

3. Blaargh

Blaargh

Apr 4, 2016
    Man, I love Ps with black hardware, do show us when you're all done!

When I upgraded some of the hardware on my Jazz I got it all from Thomann. Good range, good prices. Should have more or less everything you could need on their site.

4. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    I'm all for lighter keys, so I'll definitely check out the HB6 and the HE6C detuner, I am just a bit worried about holes not matching up. And thanks for the tip on allparts.

Once I get everything together I'll definitely snap a few pictures.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
  5. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    First off Welcome to Talkbass;
    I have a black neck plate w/screws, 3 black metal knurled knobs, and a set of Dunlop black strap locks you can have. If you happen to be a lefty, I also have black Schaller tuners and a drop tuner, but since the drop tuner isn't reversible, I won't give you the Schallers alone; I'd rather save them for someone that can use the entire set. I already sent the black Badass bridge to Australia. Start a conversation so you can give me your address.

6. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    You'd have to drill a tiny hole in the back for the new key's little screw, which nobody out front will see and which would be covered up should you go back to stock.

7. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    I looked up pictures and I don't actually like how the ultralights look with the original holes in the neck. Since this is a primarily aesthetic endeavour I'll probably stick to the ones that are made for the MIM J and P basses, but thanks for your recommendations.

LoveThatBass likes this.
  8. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    I have the HB-7 Stainless on one of my MIM Jazz basses. Nice well made 27:1 tuners. BTW: I have never understood peoples complaint with slight weight difference due to tuners but then again I don't play my bass completely horizontal either. More comfortable with slight upward angle which now that I think about it, probably due to my short arms.

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    I think the issue is that holding your bass up at an angle like that takes more effort with more weight on the head. I'm already used to the stock tuners, so I'm not horribly worried about the weight.

10. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    The black neck plate w/screws, 3 black metal knurled knobs, and a set of Dunlop black strap locks have been shipped (mailed); see our conversation thread for further details. Since you didn't provide a name for the destination address they are addressed to "T.B. Member Resslerd". If the address you provided is a business, you should give the mailroom a headsup.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
  11. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    Thank you so much! I'm very excited to start to get this project together!

12. LoveThatBass

LoveThatBass

Jun 28, 2004
    Never even noticed and I have several different basses with different weight at the headstock. Maybe I am not sensitive to a few tenths of an ounce difference ;)

13. sissy kathy

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    From Hipshots web site in reference to tuner weight:

In comparison the Gotoh GB7 tuner weights 64 grams. The Ultralite which weighs 44 grams is over 30% lighter! If you want to know how your 5 string bass equipped with Gotoh GB7 tuners would balance if you replaced them with Ultralites, just remove one of the GB7 tuners (5 Ultralite tuners weigh less than 4 GB7 tuners)! Schaller M4 tuners weigh 68 grams. Our Ultralites are 35% lighter! If you have a four string bass equipped with Schaller M4 tuners, take off 1 M4 and see how much better your bass balances (4 of our tuners weigh less than 3 of theirs)! Fender Precision and Jazz Deluxe use the BT4S tuner. These tuners weigh 123 grams each. 4 BT4S tuners weigh 492 grams (there are 454 grams in a pound). In comparison 4 Ultralite Clover Key with ½” string posts weigh 228 grams! Ultralites are more than 2 times lighter than the BT4S tuners. If you replace your BT4S with the Hipshot Ultralites your headstock will be 264 grams lighter, that’s over ½ of a pound! Your shoulder will thank you! Fender basses between 1966 and 1982 used the Schaller BMFL tuner. BMFL tuners weigh 110 grams each. Our Ultralite HB6C with ½” string posts weigh 57 grams each. That’s about half the weight. G&L Musicman and Fender Mexican bass tuners weigh 95 grams each. The recommended Ultralite HB6C with ½” string posts is about ½ the weight. Take off 2 tuners and feel the difference!

So the difference isn't trivial it's about 1/2 a pound removed from a ~2 1/2 foot lever, as your shoulder is the fulcrum.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    walterw likes this.
  14. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    right; the weight of the tuners is way out at the end of a long lever (the neck) so any slight difference gets magnified.

especially with lighter basses, the keys' weight can be the difference between relaxing the left hand and just playing vs. having to hold the neck up all night.

my older american standard P had ridiculous half-covered boat anchors on it, swapping them for lightweight keys made all the difference in the world.

15. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    All black hardware looks great on just about any bass...
    Looking forward to the pictures

16. mech

mech Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    @resslerd....You didn't mention a bridge cover. I found this black one on Epay. It covers the individual bridges I used to convert this early Peavey Fury to 5 string. I don't know if it's a perfect fit for a P but it is advertised as such and is a quality part.

Fury-1st%20Model_zpseh3yss3i.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  17. resslerd

resslerd

Jun 14, 2016
    I thought about getting bridge and pickup covers, but I really think it looks better without them.

I am just finishing up getting everything ordered right now and I will probably get it all put together sometime next week.
    If anyone is interested, I can post a list of the equipment and links I ended up going with.

mech likes this.
  18. Just take off all the hardware, take it to anyone who paints automobiles for a living, & have them coat the parts for you. Then put it all back on, after it's dry, of course.

19. Knobs - stewmac
    Strap button - I recommend installing Schaller/Dunlop strap locks
    String tree - Hipshot usually includes one when you buy their tuners but you can get them from stewmac too.

I did the same for my bass in my dp.