1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I want to try building (can you help me with neck pocket and neck)

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by DRN-PWNS, Mar 12, 2009.

1. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    I really want to give building my own body/neck a try but before i make a decision on whether or not to go through with it i need some advice.

first: I am looking to build a 4 string jazz bass. i want a one piece body that will have good tone and be pretty easy to work with. and should i make it rear rout or just typical front?

for the neck: I am thinking maple with a purple heart skunk stripe. I will probably just get a pre-slotted fret board to make the process easier. another neck related question should i put the truss rod access on the heel or at the headstock(pros and cons of each)

for the headstock: i am assuming that i would get my ass sued to **** if i used the fender headstock shape. in this case what is the closest that i can get with out loosing my all my $$$?

finaly: what tools will i need to make the pick up routs more specifically get the exact shape of the bridge PU?

thanks in advance
    -Darren

2. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    I would also like to try my hand and I have checked out this book
    martin koch's "Building Electric Guitars"
    maybe it will help you

3. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    i understand the proccess enough but i am having a few last questions mainly about the neck pocket. and my question is what is the radius of the heel? and exactaly how do i make a chennel for the truss rod. this has given me a bit of help though

4. T2W

T2W

Feb 24, 2007
    Montreal, Canada.
  5. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Thanks! i decided that i would see if the guys at warmoth could send me a print out image of the neck pocket dimensions in actual size so i can get the radius right!

6. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    okay warmoth was unable to help me because they use computer programs and cnc machines. So I'm going to shout out to any one on here with a jazz bass neck sitting around. could you trace out the heel (everything that fits into the pocket) along with the screw holes thanks in advance
    -Darren

7. Hi Darren,

Don't worry too much about the holes. Use the holes you put in the body as the guide for the holes in the neck. It's easier & more accurate this way.

Another source to consider is www.projectguitar.com It is a guitar building community, and they are very helpful.

Talk to you later,

edg

8. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Thank you. I have read everything over and over again and i can understand how everything is done and how i am going to do it except for the truss rod. what do i do in terms of the channel, how do i make is so it bows the neck back when tightened ect??

9. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    This is why Martin's book (or Melvyn Hiscock's, for that matter) was mentioned, I strongly suggest it too, no matter how much you know, there you will find answers to the questions you ask, plus it'll help you to reserve the really good questions you perhaps didn't find (although those books answer a whole lot). just my .02

Also check out http://www.mimf.com

10. DRN-PWNS

DRN-PWNS

Sep 13, 2008
    Cochrane alberta
    Okay i have everything understood now thanks !!

11. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK