Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want to use my Mr. Tone Controls!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Folmeister, Mar 31, 2005.

1. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Hear me, Oh Bass Gods!
    O.k., I have an SWR Mr. Tone Controls, a great outboard EQ. But, I can't use it as a preamp. So, I need a simple preamp unit that will get me the gain I need, but does not have EQ itself. Something very simple with a effects send & return would be great. Any recommendations?

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    woah nellie you are in a small club
    let me know when you want to sell that unit :D

one thing to remember, that unit has very nasty turn on and turn off transients (especially turn off) it will emit a horrible howl when turned off, so turn the poweramp off 1st. (swr says this is due to the circuit design which is supposed to be very transparent, but due to the design it doesn this nasty dying shreik. my electric blue does the same thing when used as a preamp.

the other thing you'll find is that often it wont sound like its doing anything. this is due to the eq bandwidths being notched pretty tight, and the fact that it is really pretty trasparent.

maybe a really nice preamp, (RNP), although i would say an alembic or demeter or any other preamp with a passive eq might be fun to use with it.

3. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks for the info! Yeah, I have never seen another one in use. I will watch out for the Siren's song! Anyone else have one?

4. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
    If you really want just the sound or your Mr. Tone Controls, I would suggest the opposite, get a pre with an active EQ which will be much easier to set flat, or better yet something with a switchable EQ.