1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I Want You Back (my first big band arrangement)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by elgecko, Feb 4, 2016.

Tags:
  1. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    :hyper:

I've been playing in big bands longer than I care to admit and have always thought that this song or that song would make a cool big band arrangement. Well, I finally got off my butt, downloaded a demo of Finale Songwriter and took a stab at my first arrangement. I figured why not make it an excuse to play one of the coolest bass lines ever!

Here's an audio file of my arrangement of the Jackson 5's I Want You Back. Songwriter is limited to the number of staves you can cram in so it has kind of a hybrid piano/guitar part and is missing drums and lead vocal but you get the idea. Please disregard the latency of some of the horn parts.

I had the trumpets cover the string parts, the alto and tenor saxes cover the background vocals, and the bari sax and bones fill in the rest. I experimented with the auto-harmonization feature but ended up not using it for this arrangement. It will be a couple of weeks before I get to try it out with a live band and I'm curious as to whether it'll fly or not.

Feel free to throw rotten tomatoes and/or offer up suggestions on how I can improve it. I was thinking about maybe adding an open solo section at the end.

2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    There's a certain lo-fi charm to this recording that I really like. It's fun; it just works for me.

The "latency of some of the horn parts" sort of sounds like when musicians intentionally play behind the beat.

elgecko likes this.