I Want You Back

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Mystic Michael, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    To mark the dubious occasion of Michael Jackson's acquittal today on child molestation charges, I took the opportunity to revisit my favorite online file-sharing application - so I could download a few classic MJ tunes from back in the day, and reaquaint myself with The Talent That Once Was...

In particular, I listened to the first two hits from The Jackson Five, I Want You Back & ABC, recorded & released in 1969 & 1970, respectively. I Want You Back, in particular has a really upbeat, happenin' kind of groove that simply will not let you ignore it. Maybe I'm biased, but I think the bass totally makes that tune, at least the bass & drums. Whoever the session cat was on that track, his timing is impeccable - he really knows how to syncopate it.

Funky, funky stuff, ladies 'n' gentlemen...

2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Somewhere, in my pile of Bass Player magazines is the transcription to "I Want You Back"(I think it was Bass Player).
    Anyway, the bassist on that track is Wilton Felder...better known as the sax player in The Crusaders(Felder also played some bass on their records).
    The J5's ABC & Third Album were two of the earliest LPs in my collection...still have 'em + added them on disc; you can get Diana Ross Presents + ABC on one(1) cd and Third Album + [Maybe Tomorrow on one(1) cd.
    I just picked up Destiny a couple weeks ago. NIce bass work by Nathan Watts, Mike Sembello, & Greg Philliganes(synth).
  3. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I Want You Back is one of my favorite bass tunes ever. Absolutely killer feel and syncopation, I'd have sworn that guy was a drummer and not a sax player. :)
  4. thansen

Jun 2, 2005
    He also played on Jimmy Smith's 'Root down' (and get it)... another classic from the halls of classic bass lines.

Didnt know he was the crusaders sax player, you learn something new every day hey?
  5. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I thought one of the Jackson brothers played bass for the Jackson 5? Jermaine, I believe.
  6. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA

One of my absolute favorites. I play "I want you back" as a test for myself every once in a while to see where I'm at. Phenomenal playing on that tune.
  7. Mr.Phil

Apr 9, 2005
    Upstate NY
  8. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not on their recordings.

If possible, rent/buy the Ed Sullivan Rock And Roll Forever DVD.
    The J5 doin' "I Want You Back" is on that DVD; check out Jermaine's "playing".