Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want YOUR help

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by fretbuzz, Apr 8, 2002.

1. ok, ive been playing bass for about 1 1/2 years, all fingertyle, i was unable to play with a pick. i bought a strat copy and was forced to learn how to handle a pick and am having some good success now. everything seems to be moving right along, but my lack of musical knowlage or theory is starting to get the best of me. i just find it so dry and i never feel like im making progress when i study. so has anybody have some unique ways to learn theory slowly and have fun at the same time? if you've read this and said to yourself. "what a dumbass" your more than likely right, however if you have some helpful drills or study materials that im unaware of please pass them along. im old and stupid so bear with me.

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    look for someone to take lessons from.... ?
    Getting a book and reading it yourself can be difficult, but working with an instructor can be quite helpful.

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Well, the way I see it, one way to have "fun" studying theory is to see how you can put what you've learned to some use. Myself, I'm the type of person who always asks "What's this good for?" when I learn something...

Anyway, one way to do this is to analyze a few of your favourite albums. A good teacher should be able to help get you on the right track. Once you start to see how your favourite bass players create their lines, it might well inspire you to make some! :cool:

One method I've found helpful when learning others' lines is to go further than just learning every note; also, consider how the line was constructed with respect to chordal and scalar theory (and whatever else is relevant). That, to me, makes learning songs more fun.

Unfortunately, as with anything, not all of it is going to be "fun"... just good, old-fashioned hard work, learning for steak tomorrow, as it were.

4. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    whenever i learn a new scale, i'll start to improvise using it.

a good instructor will help tremendously.

5. Most of music theory is either loosely or directly based on the major scale. Locate a book or something that shows you different patterns and modes for playing scales, and immerse yourself in that for awhile. I think it's fun to learn a new scale, but maybe that's just me...

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    In order to get somewhere you need to

Work on what you play so it's internalised and smooth.

Work on what you don't play so you actually learn more stuff.

Work on your ear-stick pop music type radio on and play along, youve got three minutes to learn each song-no pressure :)

Work on playing with others even if its your your strat and a tape recorder.

Work on finding others to play with.

Find books CD's but as someone said find a teacher.

Work on your influences-many players in a certain music genre are influenced by muicians outside of that box. Who inspires you? How can you incorporate some of that into your style?

hope that helps

BTW I've been playing for 20 years and have just got a teacher cos I hit a brick wall. He's a very nice man and has challenged what I do and encouraged me to get better.

7. steve2

steve2

Sep 23, 2001
    Piney Flats, TN
    After playing for several years and I am very basic. I know the fretboard and I play nearly everything by ear and I also learned some from tab. But I have realized to step my music level up a notch or 2, I have to learn some of the basics which include scales, Music theory and notation along with some ear training. I would defiently make sure that your bass teacher can read music. For what I have seen nearly of the great bassist reads music. I told my instructor that I want to be a better bassist, so I know that he will do his job. So everthing will rely on myself which I agree reading notation can be boring and slow but If a piano played can read all of the notes and play them surely I can read the bottom line of the Bass clef. I would also have the instructor may show you a new rif at every lesson and kind of break things up.

Peace
    Steve

8. thank you everyone for excellent advice. i'll just have to work harder, and not worry about results.

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I think we all have those days. Some days you feel like you are doing great. I know i'll be sitting ther playing around with a piece and throw out this tasty line and i'll just be on it the rest of the day beating out tasty grooves and i'll get real excited and get the on top of the world feeling.

And there are those days where i feel i am making no progress... and i'm not as good as I'd like to think I am. Even knowing an extensive amount of theory.. sometimes we just get bumbed out.. its natural..

But wanting to learn is a good way to get out of a slump. Try taking a theory class if at all possible. Or get a theory book. it doesn't have to be guitar theory... learn how to build chords and spell them.. work on scales. specifically Major and Minor (natural, harmonic, Melodic Minor). It'll come to you with time. just stay focussed and don't get down when you feel you aren't progressing

peace,
    jim

10. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    What helped me to retain alot of the theory Ive been instructed was by wrighting it all down in my little blue note book. I call it the Bassiks. Its good to write things down because it helps solidify it in your mind, and you have a reference to use whenever you need it.

Dont be affraid to ask questions. No matter how stupid you think they may be. Or how annoying you think you're becomming. (ust make sure you ask them intelligently) I was explained the circle of 5ths by two people. I did'nt get it the way they were explaining it. Heck even read a really detailed post on it. Still did'nt quite get it. So I asked another person. They somehow got thru to me, and made it crystal clear. So don't be spooked to keep asking around untill it fully sinks in.

The people here are more often than not, very happy to help you in you're learning process.

PS: just don't mention tabs in this neck of woods. Or ve vill, unleash ze houndz on jew. Zis vill be your only varnink

11. What ever you do DON'T learn only the patterns of the scales... sure they may help you when yoru soloing or something. Learn what sharps or flats there are in the scale like C major is all natural G is one sharp f# i think...

all of this will help you in the long run... it enables you to beable to pick up a piece of music and read what sharps/flats are in the key and not have to wonder about it...