I want your honest opinion on what i should get

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xaero187, Oct 16, 2002.

1. Epiphone ThunderbirdIV

10 vote(s)
  2. Squire/Fender P-bass?

24 vote(s)
  3. Some sort of BC Rich

5 vote(s)
  4. Something totally different

43 vote(s)
  1. xaero187

Sep 2, 2002
    I live in England, and i should be getting paid towards the beginning of nov, and i was just wandering what sort of bass i should get, i should have about £300, what's good for that money? i was looking at a, Epiphone Thunderbird, since i love the shape, and the overall sound, and everything about it, but i just wanna see what other people would buy forv 300 quid cheers
  2. Yamaha RBX or Cort.
    I think so ... I'm very happy with my RBX260f.
    But maybe the fretted models are not as good ... Give it a try.
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If we're talking strictly £300, then I would only be thinking MIM Fender Jazz.

PS - if you really want people to help you, then I would fill out your profile. It is much easier to provide help, when people know what sort of music you are interested in - what gear you have already etc.

Without this - people are just guessing.
  4. Well, I would have to recommend the Epiphone Thunderbird, since you love "the shape, and the overall sound, and everything about it"

I mean, it all comes down to personal preference, doesnt it?

Other things I like (in that price range) would be Cort "Curbow" and some of the new Samicks

i tried the samick TABU at a trade show recently and found it to be a very nice instrument for the money!

The COBRA was actually pretty sweet, too!
  5. how bout a Yamaha RBX-260 or 270 or if you want a more traditional look Yamaha Attitude Plus
  6. Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    cort artisian fretless.. about 400 dollars us.. thats all i have to say.. bartolinis in it =D great bass.
    You could always get a fender =D
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    MIM fender Jazz would be my vote..
  8. Yep, can't go wrong with a Fender Jazz.
  9. rickreyn

rickreyn Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Lutz, Florida
    Go with what has caught your eye. You will not be satisfied until you own one. T-bird.
  10. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    "Something totally different" might be a Wishnevsky, so from your choices I recommend a Fender J or P bass. The parts aftermarket for them could budget a third world country. I'm even thinking of selling my Kingston for a Fender Jazz.
  11. Get the Fender Jazz. Thunderbirds are really neck dive pretty easy, and I can't stand that. Maybe it's just me.
  12. It seems from your poll choices that you aren't trying to spend a load of cash.

Regardless, my answer might be the same even if you wanted to spend more :)

IMO the best value out there, as well as just plain being one of the nicest sounding/playing, well made basses is the Godin Freeway:

The link to their site is:

These instruments are extremely well made mostly in Canada with final assembly a few miles away in New Hampshire USA. There are very cheap - the 5 string is only $615 Canadian which is probably less than 300 pounds, or maybe $400 USD. The 4 string is even less. The workmanship is great and the sound is superb.

My other 5 string is a G&L L-2500 worth over three times the price, and I rarely play it anymore since getting the Godin.

You'd be really crazy to not check one out at least.
  13. If you like the Thunderbird, go with the Thunderbird. I was playing a Gibson last week, and while I wouldn't want it as my main bass, I sure wouldn't mind adding it to the arsenal.

Haven't played an Epiphone version, and I don't know what the difference is between it and the Gibson apart from the quality of the wood.

If you decide on an MIM Jazz, play as many as you can. I was considering replacing my MIJ last week, and played several Jazz basses at a couple of local stores (that's when I played the T-bird). Some of the MIAs were incredible, but some were just okay. Some of the MIMs were not noticeably different than the MIAs. Apparently, the 2002 models are now made from alder rather than poplar, albeit a lesser quality alder than the MIAs. They really aren't bad basses.

What else will 300 pounds buy in Britain? I know what $450 will buy here, but you guys probably have different tariffs and such that add to the cost.
  14. bass_man86

Apr 29, 2002
    Virginia Beach
    I just recently picked up an OLP for $249.00 US. A true bargain for a bass that plays like a dream. I have been playing for 28 years and this axe has one of the best necks that I have layed my hands on, and it's all about the neck. The only things that I did with the bass was replace the pick up with a Carvin humbucker at $89.00 and added an Aguillar OBP 1 onboard preamp at $99.00 since it was a passive bass. OLP is a licensed subsidiary of Music Man and for the money it's a much smarter buy as with even the modifications that I made I still shelled out less than $500.00 US versus over a thousand for the Stingray 5. I hope this helps.
  15. FENDER JAZZ!!!!

If it's good enough for Geddy. . .

Good enough for Marcus. . .

Good enough, for God's Sake, Jaco. . .

GO with it!

You are walking in the footseps of giants!

16. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Licensed, yes. Subsidiary, no.
  17. DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
  18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Never seen them in the UK and importing is fraught with dangers - the budget of £300 might well be broken by VAT, customs duty etc. and you may not get a "pristine" bass either! ;)
  19. Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    i will say with that kind of Money to Take yamaha Rbx 270-260 they kick a** in this range of money i have one of this and i am not the only one who tells you to buy this base:D
  20. I'd go for a non-gothic Schecter. One of those nice neck thru ones with active pups.