Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I want YOUR opinion...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nasaldischarges, Jun 12, 2005.

1. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    I'm looking into buying a new 4-string solid-body fretted electric bass guitar. I would like to pay 300-450 for a new bass. I'm not sure what would be the best bass to get. I've looked into ESP's F-104 and EC-254, Fender's P-Bass and Jazz Bass in catalogs. Two of my friends play Specter basses, though im not sure which models they are. If someone happens to know of a HIGH QUALITY bass for 300-450 dollars I would appreciate it if someone told me about it.

2. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    BTW, in case it matters, I play with my fingers and I also play slap. i never use picks, and i dont use my thumb unless of course im slapping.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Standard Jazz or Yamaha BB414 you may need save a little more money

4. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    +1

You really should take a look at these basses. Play them in the store and if you like them, then buy them. They're good and versatile basses.

5. Musicman Subs---> I play Stingrays and I played one of these subs and it was the same. plus for the slapping alone I'd go with the sub.. you still may need a little bit more money though about the same as the basses already mentioned but it will be well worth it..

6. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    save some more money and spend 600 on a G&L tribute 4 or 5 string. you will never regret it and you will forget about the extra 200 you spent.

7. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005

Would a P-bass special (p body, jazz/p pickups, jazz neck) be any better than a standard?

8. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    If you mean the Fender version and not the Squier version I think it's just a matter of taste. The standards are passive while the deluxe series are active basses.
    What you get in the deluxe that you not get when you buy a standard is an alder body, active electronics and noiseless pickups.
    But when you buy Fender, always play the instrument first. I've heard and read people saying that a MIM can be better than a MIA Fender... There are good ones and bad ones, Fender is known for this...
    I own a Stingray which is great for slap and does really well for fingerstyle playing too. But I ordered a MIM jazz a few days ago, just to be complementary with the Stingray. (active and passive bass, other pickup placement, tone character etc.). And I'm going to see and hear whether the MIM jazz will do for me, and if not, I'll just replace what's not good enough. (probably the PU's and/or the bridge)...
    I hope this helps you a little further.

9. A Deluxe is not the same as a P-Bass Special. The special is simply a P with a J at the bridge (might have a downsized body, I'm not sure), it's passive and It's what Duff McKagan has used throughout his G'n'R and VR days. nasaldischarges, It will give you more tonal variety, and if it does have the J neck as you say, it will probably be more comfortable. Though, don't go any buy your bass without playing a few to see what you like.

10. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    The deluxe series have been upgraded some time ago. Now the MIM deluxe series are active. (9V instead of their 18V MIA brothers, though) They now even have the noiseless pickups and the MIA deluxe basses have SCN pickups now (samarium cobalt)...
    For the MIM deluxe series, there are now eight models: P-bass special, a jazz and, a jazz 5-string, zone 4- and 5-string, the dimension 4- and 5-string and the aerodyne jazz.
    The Squiers are indeed all passive basses. If I'm not mistaken, the bodies are not downsized. (only the P-bass Jr. has a downsides body)
    And I know, yes, it's confusing, but there are two P-bass special models: the Fender and the Squier one.
    If you don't believe me take a look in the Fender Frontline 2005 catalog.

11. Roight. I was thinking of a Jazz bass special (my bad on that one) which was a downsized P body with a J at the bridge and a J neck. I didn't think they were made anymore, I can't find them on the Fender site. I also was not aware of the MIM Deluxe or for that matter, that it had a J at the bridge rather than the double J humbucker on the MIA series. So, the MIM Deluxe is essentially the contemporary equivalent to the Jazz bass special.

...Truce? :p

Cheers,
    Marty

12. nasaldischarges

nasaldischarges

Jun 11, 2005
    Thank you all for the advice

13. Musicfreak1988

Musicfreak1988

Feb 2, 2005
    Belgium
    In fact, there is a model with a P-bass body and a J at the neck and at the bridge... The Squier P-bass special 5-string...

LOL, didn't mean to offense you :bag:, no problemo btw :D ;)

Just :bassist:

14. None taken mate :)

15. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    In that price range, whichever Peavey or Yamaha feels best to you.

16. Buy a used G&L L-2000 Tribute for $400 and use it to get any tone you can imagine - P, J, Stingray, and ton of others you didn't know you liked.

17. A Spector Performance is probably in your reach. Take a look at Ibanez too. And I shall second the Yamaha and Peavey suggestions...Hell, that used G&L Tribute L-2000 sounds like a plan too. Maybe I should do that...

18. illidian

illidian

Jul 2, 2004
    New Option: Mod the Essex bass of your choice.

Used Option: G&L Tribute L-2000 Premium.