I wants a better tone, any suggestions or thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by frankencow150, Aug 23, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I have a squier p-bass special and lately ive noticed how dull my tone is. It just has no defintion,it sounds so empty and boring. Even when I put in new strings i still dont like the tone that much. I really wanna "beef it up" and make it sound more rich and full. I was wondering what the seymour duncan 1/4's change your sound. If you can describe the tone change because if one person thinks its and improvement it may not be exactly what im looking for. Thanks.
  2. i suggest getting a whole new bass all together, the quarter pounder might bring some punch in but with a squier neck and a agathis body...its gonna sound dull anyway.
  3. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i also would suggest a new bass, but if you're are straped for cash, consider the pickup.
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I dont have enough money for a whole new bass and probably wont for a long time (and i just dont wanna spend $500+ for a new one). I was wondering if there was anything else I could do to my bass besides new pickups to get a better tone?Thanks
  5. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    How are you playing it?

Fingering, Picking... etc

How's the action on it?

How do you have your yorkville's controls setup?

There are many things you can look at before you change the pickup. I was in guitar center a while back and the salesman was suggesting that I get the SWR LA15. I told him I hated it's tone, boxy, lifeless... etc.

He asked if he could show me something. I handed him the bass and he made some minor adjustments on the tone controls. The bass was a MIM Jazz. He rocked back the bridge pu a bit, and played on the neck... and got a wonderful thumpy walking tone. Then he turned up the bridge, and rocked back the neck pu a bit, played closer to the bridge and got some nice sharp punchy tones.

I bet if you poked around with your controls, hand position, string action, etc etc... you could improve your tone without having to buy anything.
  6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Before a new PU, I suggest a good bridge, say a BadAss II or a Schaller.
    It'll improve sustain, low register will become thicker and trebles will come clearer.

You'll be able to keep it and use it again if you upgrade to a MIA Fender later.
  7. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001

I usually play with fingers, occasionaly I used a pick.

The action is medium.

On my amp I usually have everything in the middle and on my bass I have the p-pups all the way up, jazz pups a little bit and the tone a little bit.

I think im gonna mess around with everything for awhile and if I still cant get a good tone ill think of getting new pups and maybe even a bridge.

Thanks everyone!
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Cool. What are you looking for? deep thumpy lows? Crisp, punchy bass?

You mention that on your amp you have it all in the middle.

Is it just three knobs? If so, and if you want the thumpy lows, you might leave the high and mids at 50% and edge the bass up a bit. Maybe to 66% to 75%. I usually don't like to dime anything on the amp.

If you are looking for the crisp, punchy bass, try leaving the mids at 50%, and rocking the bass and treble up to between 66% and 75%.

Then max the volume and tone on your bass and play close to the bridge. for punch. Then rock back the tone and play closer to the neck for thump. But leave the volume dimed, and just use the amp controls to control your volume.

Good luck!!
  9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    You could try putting in new pickups it will help your sound some.. but I would suggest not having your pickups on your jazz bass all the way up.

Also, as Gabu said, try messing around with your eq. First I would boost the lows and mids a bit... Not dramatically, but i would the Lows at about 2 o'clock and the mids at around 1.5 and the leave the treble flat..

Now everyone eqs differently... but this may give you an idea of where to go... it all depends on what you hear...