Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I was _this close_ to buying a ReBop yesterday

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flatwound, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Went to GC and they had a ReBop 5 on the floor for $650. New, but plenty of showroom wear. Like maybe if you hit it with a chain a few times. Still, the price was right, I thought, and the sound was really good. I'm guessing this one has the Aguilar OBP-1, because it was still plenty bright and deep with the bass and treble all the way down. I would imagine that it would have a monster slap tone.

This is the first ReBop I've handled, and I'm pretty impressed. It needed a setup, but you could still tell it was a great bass. Had to be 1-1/2 to 2 lbs. lighter than my NS-2000, and really felt great. And if you don't think EMG-Hz pickups sound good, try them with an Aguilar preamp.

Still, I'm committed to the four string, so I decided not to go for it, even though it had a killer B string. But when I start thinking about another bass, ReBops will certainly be on the list.

2. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    You may want to keep an eye on the musicians enemy (musicansfriend.com) clearance page. They regularly seem to have a Rebob on there... Sooner or later a four banger at a good price may be available.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I played a Rebop a few months ago at my local GC, a natural finish 5-string. Played and sounded pretty cool; amazingly enough it was well set up with low action and non-rusted strings, a definite rarity at GC. :p (I'm guessing they'd just gotten that bass in. ;) )

4. vegaas

vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Milwaukee
    I am thinking of picking one up. Tried them out a couple of times and really liked them. I was going through short, very short, Fender phase where I wanted a J bass. Luckily that has passed and the Spector Re-Bop is back on top of my G.A.S. list.